Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » New Perspective Disappeared Over Night/Over the Weekend(Custom Perspective Created for Online Course Disappeared)
New Perspective Disappeared Over Night/Over the Weekend [message #1690666] Mon, 30 March 2015 13:22 Go to next message
Regina Litman is currently offline Regina LitmanFriend
Quick summary:

Does a company who has made Eclipse available for its employees periodically delete customized views, and if so, is there a way I can prevent this from happening?

More detailed information:

I created a new perspective called CustomForJava following the instructions for a series of online videos presented by lynda.com. It's called CustomForJava and basically is the Java perspective minus the Task List view. I first created this perspective early last week.

Most days since then, when I opened Eclipse after having closed it (whether the same day or another one), CustomForJava opens up for me. However, twice, when I brought up Eclipse for the first time on a given day, the installation's default, Java EE, is the perspective. When I go into Window -> Open Perspective -> Other ... [because CustomForJava is not among the popular selections], CustomForJava doesn't even appear in the expanded box. I then have to re-create it.

Does my employer have the capability to periodically go through the perspectives and delete the ones that aren't part of some installation defaults? If so, is there some place I can save a perspective so that I can either open it from there or save it to the space used by the other perspectives?

Or is there a way I can "register" this perspective as one to not be considered to be temporary?

Because this happened today, a Monday, such a sweep through the perspectives over the weekend would be a logic conclusion. However, it happened once before, not on a Monday.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this.

I am sometimes an Original Poster, but I am never an OP!
Re: New Perspective Disappeared Over Night/Over the Weekend [message #1690805 is a reply to message #1690666] Tue, 31 March 2015 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This happened again this morning (not saved from yesterday overnight). In addition, I hope this new information bumps it up in case it got overlooked yesterday. If any of the experts here (or any newcomers who have also had this issue) did see this question yesterday or earlier today but either have no clue how to answer it or are in the process of trying to find an answer for me, please let me know so that I'll know it wasn't overlooked. Thanks.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 March 2015 12:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Perspective Disappeared Over Night/Over the Weekend [message #1690991 is a reply to message #1690805] Wed, 01 April 2015 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm beginning to think that this is a problem for which no one has a solution. Doing a search here on the key words "perspective" and "disappeared", among some irrelevant results, I got the following:

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1033105/?srch=perspective+disappeared#msg_1033105 (posted in June twenty-twelve)

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/885202/?srch=perspective+disappeared#msg_885202 (originally posted in March twenty-thirteen, with additional pleas as late as October twenty-thirteen)

For the first one, there were no responses except for additional pleas by the original poster (as a result of the situation getting worse) plus one from someone else saying something along the lines of, "I'm having this problem, too." The second one contained some replies that could be construed as giving assistance, but some of the terms used in both the replies and the original post were unfamiliar to me, an Eclipse newcomer. (This post was in a forum other than Newcomers.) It ended with the original poster stating that she was no longer working with Eclipse and thus no longer needed a response.

One thing I did pick up from one of the replies to the second post was a reference to "read-only access to your Eclipse installation" in which "some update-operations are actually supposed to fail." Could it be possible that I only have read-only access, and saving a new perspective is an "update-operation"?

Again, if anyone does have any insight into this, please let me know. Thanks in advance (never TIA [I cringe just to type this] when I am the one doing the posting).

Re: New Perspective Disappeared Over Night/Over the Weekend [message #1690998 is a reply to message #1690991] Wed, 01 April 2015 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 04/01/2015 06:56 AM, Regina Litman wrote:
> I'm beginning to think that this is a problem for which no one has a
> solution. Doing a search here on the key words "perspective" and
> "disappeared", among some irrelevant results, I got the following:
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1033105/?srch=perspective+disappeared#msg_1033105
> (posted in June twenty-twelve)
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/885202/?srch=perspective+disappeared#msg_885202
> (originally posted in March twenty-thirteen, with additional pleas as
> late as October twenty-thirteen)
>
> For the first one, there were no responses except for additional pleas
> by the original poster (as a result of the situation getting worse) plus
> one from someone else saying something along the lines of, "I'm having
> this problem, too." The second one contained some replies that could be
> construed as giving assistance, but some of the terms used in both the
> replies and the original post were unfamiliar to me, an Eclipse
> newcomer. (This post was in a forum other than Newcomers.) It ended with
> the original poster stating that she was no longer working with Eclipse
> and thus no longer needed a response.
>
> One thing I did pick up from one of the replies to the second post was a
> reference to "read-only access to your Eclipse installation" in which
> "some update-operations are actually supposed to fail." Could it be
> possible that I only have read-only access, and saving a new perspective
> is an "update-operation"?
>
> Again, if anyone does have any insight into this, please let me know.
> Thanks in advance (never TIA [I cringe just to type this] when I am the
> one doing the posting).

In terms of "read-only" access to Eclipse...

Some mistakenly install their Eclipse on Linux paths like /opt or
/usr/share, /usr/local, etc. or, on Windows paths like C:\Program Files,
etc. Windows, post XP, requires administrator access to paths like that
just as those Linux paths are also typically administrated by root.

Eclipse is a personal-productivity tool and, while careful installation
can make of it something sharable with others, why do it (in most
situations)?

If you have done something like this, then yes, you might be running
into a "read-only" problem. However, I haven't responded to you because
you've done something I've never tried, have no need for and don't have
the time to explore. (Sorry.)

Hope this helps a little.
Re: New Perspective Disappeared Over Night/Over the Weekend [message #1691043 is a reply to message #1690998] Wed, 01 April 2015 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply. I am not the one who installed Eclipse on my Windows 7 computer, so I'll have to do some exploring to find it. This has happened all three mornings this week (today is Wednesday), and then it just happened again right now in the 3:00-4:00 p.m./1500-1600 hour (Eastern U.S. time). I rebooted to try to fix something unrelated to this earlier this afternoon, so it may be that just the process of rebooting causes it to go away. I'm now wondering if there were any days last week when my custom perspective was saved overnight.

Re: New Perspective Disappeared Over Night/Over the Weekend [message #1691047 is a reply to message #1691043] Wed, 01 April 2015 19:51 Go to previous message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 04/01/2015 01:46 PM, Regina Litman wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I am not the one who installed Eclipse on my
> Windows 7 computer, so I'll have to do some exploring to find it. This
> has happened all three mornings this week (today is Wednesday), and then
> it just happened again right now in the 3:00-4:00 p.m./1500-1600 hour
> (Eastern U.S. time). I rebooted to try to fix something unrelated to
> this earlier this afternoon, so it may be that just the process of
> rebooting causes it to go away. I'm now wondering if there were any days
> last week when my custom perspective was saved overnight.

It sounds as if you may have a managed computer? That might explain your
problem. I wondered about that.

If Mordach the Preventer of IT Services isn't likely to censure you,
just download Eclipse from eclipse.ord yourself. Put it on a path like,
C:\Users\regina\eclipse.

Best of luck.
Previous Topic:how do use gradle /meven dependency tooling to import eclipse 4.4 (or other build) jars
Next Topic:Binaries missing in Project Explorer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:53:29 GMT 2024