Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » P2 based Target Platform Definition limits(No way to distribute them with the needed P2 sites)
P2 based Target Platform Definition limits [message #1659276] Sun, 08 March 2015 19:11
Santiago Ruiz is currently offline Santiago RuizFriend
Hi all

Suppose you have a target definition like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<?pde version="3.8"?>
<target ...>
 <locations>
  <location ...">
   <unit id="..." version="..."/>
   <unit id="..." version="..."/>
  </location>
 </locations>
</target>

It's very useful, you can update it, you can also create rich features to let the user the minimum amount of work (selecting only the "big things") ... but

It only works on your workspace Confused .

If you want to distribute the ".target" file extending the point "org.eclipse.pde.core.targets" in your plugin you have a problem:

The target doesn't works without the needed "Software Sites" and... not, you cannot distribute them as partners of your target platform definition

The user of the plugin needs to import a bookmarks.xml file from some place containing the needed software sites, and this needs to be done for each workspace that is going to use the target definition

Really, they need to "create" a new target definition, work whit the available software sites to import the file, cancel the target definition creation and, finally, go to "really" add a target based on the distributed template.... (too much for my users)

It seems there's not an easy way (am I in a mistake?) but, my question: is there a way?

The "Available Software Sites" for target platforms are particular for each workspace. Is there a way to add them (perhaps using the p2 Director or the p2 api) from a plugin detecting that a new workspace has been created?

Thanks in advance
Previous Topic:How update markers when document change
Next Topic:Clean Plugin Cache
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 16:41:17 GMT 2024