Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Kura » JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...)
JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1633464] Tue, 24 February 2015 21:59 Go to next message
Aaron Siri is currently offline Aaron SiriFriend
Greetings! I'm trying out the Kura platform on my shiny, new Raspberry Pi 2...

I know that Kura recommends JDK 7 and says absolutely nothing about 8 but the latest Raspbian installed from the latest NOOBS has JDK 8 pre-installed so I figured I'd roll with it... (really, you should mention *something* about JDK 8 cause people are gonna to try it)

In any case, the latest Kura .deb installed on the Pi without issue after I installed a couple of dependencies (dos2unix and telnet). I then proceeded to setup the Eclipse dev. environment on my Mac. I went through all of the steps in the Documentation but ran into a hickup at the "Export the OSGi Bundle" step of the "Hello World Example" page. When I attempt to export I get the following error:

Processing inclusion from feature org.eclipse.pde.container.feature: Bundle org.eclipse.kura.example.hello_osgi_1.0.0.qualifier failed to resolve.:
	Missing Constraint: Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.8
	Host plug-in JavaSE_0.0.0 has not been found.

Is this a "you're not using JDK 7" issue or something else? JDK 8 is defined as default in eclipse and is the JVM defined for the projects. Any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks for any help!
Re: JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1633997 is a reply to message #1633464] Wed, 25 February 2015 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Woodard is currently offline David WoodardFriend
Hello,

We have seen several cases of Kura running on Java 8, we just haven't had a chance to run official tests. You should have no trouble running Kura with Java 8 and the latest Raspbian image.

I suspect the error you are seeing has to do with a setting somewhere in Eclipse. I would check all the Java related settings (Java build path settings for project, installed JREs, compatible execution environments, etc.). Did you recently upgrade to Java 8 on your Mac?

For a simple solution, you should be able to remove the line 'Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.8' from your bundle's manifest. If that doesn't work let me know.

Thanks,
--Dave
Re: JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1635223 is a reply to message #1633997] Wed, 25 February 2015 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron Siri is currently offline Aaron SiriFriend
That helped. Thanks!

The only other issue I ran into was the emulator's run configuration was set to Java 7.

I'm now able to deploy to my Pi and the emulator.

-Aaron
Re: JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1709085 is a reply to message #1633464] Wed, 23 September 2015 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Lemieux is currently offline Chris LemieuxFriend
I just want to add that I was experiencing the same issue. Once I removed the line 'Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.8' from my bundle's Manifest, I was able to proceed with my export.

However, now I have a 'Add 'JavaSE-1.8' as a required execution environment' warning message in my MANIFEST.MF file.

Has this been addressed yet? Is it documented anywhere?
Re: JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1710439 is a reply to message #1709085] Tue, 06 October 2015 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

You are seeing this behavior because the Kura target platform is using org.eclipse.osgi v3.8.1. This version only provides execution environments up to Java 1.7. When we move Kura to a newer version of Equinox, this issue will be resolved. We currently don't have a timeline for updating the version. From my experience, it is okay to remove the line and ignore the warning. The best explanation I have found of this is here [1].

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=430688

Thanks,
--Dave
Re: JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1739584 is a reply to message #1710439] Wed, 03 August 2016 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paul stanton is currently offline paul stantonFriend
using KURA_1.4.0, this seems to still be a problem.

under the covers, org.eclipse.osgi_3.8.1.v20120830-144521 is used. from the notes on the bug you posted david, this issue won't be resolved until osgi 4.4+ is used?

Re: JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1740709 is a reply to message #1739584] Wed, 17 August 2016 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Paul,

Yes, this won't be resolved until we upgrade the Equinox version. We may be dong this soon, upgrading the OSGi version would be wise for several reasons.

Thanks,
--Dave
Re: JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1751333 is a reply to message #1633464] Mon, 09 January 2017 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amarendra Sahoo is currently offline Amarendra SahooFriend
I am facing this issue.

I am bound to use JDK 1.8, as I am using jdk.dio jar file, which is available only in JDK8.

As per this thread OSGI 3.8.1 does not support JDK 8. , and the latest version of Kura development workspace contains this OSGI 3.8.1 .

So how to upgrade this OSGI to latest version.
Any alternative, I can use jdk.dio jar ...
Re: JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1751334 is a reply to message #1633464] Mon, 09 January 2017 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amarendra Sahoo is currently offline Amarendra SahooFriend
I am facing this issue.

I am bound to use JDK 1.8, as I am using jdk.dio jar file, which is available only in JDK8.

As per this thread OSGI 3.8.1 does not support JDK 8. , and the latest version of Kura development workspace contains this OSGI 3.8.1 .

So how to upgrade this OSGI to latest version.
Any alternative, I can use jdk.dio jar ...

The error:

org.eclipse.pde.container.feature: Bundle org.eclipse.kura.example.hello_osgi_1.0.0.qualifier failed to resolve.:
Missing Constraint: Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.8
Host plug-in JavaSE_0.0.0 has not been found.
Re: JDK 8 support? (Error exporting bundle...) [message #1751614 is a reply to message #1751334] Wed, 11 January 2017 22:39 Go to previous message
Hello,

For clarification, there is no issue running Kura on JDK 8. The only limitation is that you cannot use Java 8 constructs within your application. To put another way, your Kura application has to be compatible with Java 7. This does not mean that you cannot run your application and Kura on Java 8. To get your application to work, simply remove "Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.8" from your MANIFEST.MF file. Assuming you are not using Java 8 specific code within your application.

Also, Kura already includes jdk.dio, is there a reason you need to use a separate Jar?

FWIW, we are moving to Java 8 (Equinox 3.11) in Kura v3.0.0. We hope to have a milestone release ready by the end of January and a full release ready by the end of March.

Thanks,
--Dave
Previous Topic:Enumerating Serial Ports in Kura
Next Topic:Web Application in KURA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:11:24 GMT 2024