Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » EclipseLink bugs: where/how to report?
EclipseLink bugs: where/how to report? [message #1627477] Sat, 21 February 2015 15:15 Go to next message
Anthony Vanelverdinghe is currently offline Anthony VanelverdingheFriend
A while ago, I reported 3 bugs in EclipseLink concerning its implementation of the JPA specification (440078, 441048, 442267).

Since their status hasn't changed since then, I'm wondering:
- what is the right "workflow" to report issues? (report it directly in Bugzilla / create a topic in this forum and, only once the issue is acknowledged, report it in Bugzilla / send a message to the eclipselink-users mailing list / ...)
- are my bug reports "complete" or is there something obvious missing?
- how do I know when an issue has been acknowledged? If the status is set to "CONFIRMED"?

and, given that EclipseLink is the JPA reference implementation:
- how can I mark a bug as "violating the specification"?
- what is the priority of such bugs in relation to other bugs?

Please note that I'm not asking to give priority to these bugs. I just want to make sure I'm reporting issues correctly.

PS: I attempted to include links to the bugs (at bugs.eclipse.org), but got the error message: "You can only use links to eclipse.org sites while you have fewer than 5 messages."
Re: EclipseLink bugs: where/how to report? [message #1632681 is a reply to message #1627477] Tue, 24 February 2015 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lukas JungmannFriend
Hi Anthony,

Quote:

Since their status hasn't changed since then, I'm wondering:
- what is the right "workflow" to report issues? (report it directly in Bugzilla / create a topic in this forum and, only once the issue is acknowledged, report it in Bugzilla / send a message to the eclipselink-users mailing list / ...)

best is to go ahead and file issues directly to Bugzilla to make sure they won't be lost as you already did

Quote:

- are my bug reports "complete" or is there something obvious missing?

best is to attach some ready to compile, run project/file + test which reproduces problem - you know exact conditions for the supposed to be a bug to happen, so by this you just make sure we'll be on the same side and it will be easier for us to find and resolve possible issue. Omitting this may lead to some longer delays.

Quote:

- how do I know when an issue has been acknowledged? If the status is set to "CONFIRMED"?

currently only by a notification wrt bug update. We are trying to go through new issues regularly.

Quote:

and, given that EclipseLink is the JPA reference implementation:
- how can I mark a bug as "violating the specification"?
- what is the priority of such bugs in relation to other bugs?

we currently don't have any status whiteboard keyword for this but it would be enough to refer violated part of the spec directly in the bug. For this kind of issues, I would set the priority to at least 'major'.

Thanks,
--lukas
Re: EclipseLink bugs: where/how to report? [message #1636880 is a reply to message #1632681] Thu, 26 February 2015 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony Vanelverdinghe is currently offline Anthony VanelverdingheFriend
Hi Lukas

Thanks for your clarifications. I will update the reports with proper test cases. However, if I can't reproduce the issue with Java DB [1], I don't see a way to make them fully self-contained. So, as long as I specify which JDK/JDBC driver/database was used, I assume it's OK if the connection to the database still has to be manually configured?

[1] e.g. Apache Derby doesn't have support for named parameters, so I won't be able to use it to reproduce bug 440078

Thanks, Anthony
Re: EclipseLink bugs: where/how to report? [message #1636904 is a reply to message #1636880] Thu, 26 February 2015 12:36 Go to previous message
Lukas JungmannFriend
Hi Anthony,

yes, as long as you say which DB/DB driver we should use in order to reproduce the scenario it's fine. (The most important parts for us are the model (entities) being used + code (queries) being run)

Thanks,
--lukas
Previous Topic:Long cursored query and concurrent updates leads to out-of-date reads from long query
Next Topic:oneToMany with composite key using eclipselink
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:02:10 GMT 2024