Why I Love the Eclipse Marketplace
Let me count the ways:
- Saves Time: Saves me from futile web searches for Eclipse-specific plugins.
- Benefit from the Wisdom of the Crowd: Plugin popularity is very useful when having to decide between different plugins serving the same purpose.
- Easy to share: from the Marketplace Client, I can see what plugins I have installed, and visit the corresponding Marketplace webpage. Send that URL to a friend and they can install it too. Much better than scrambling to find the corresponding p2 site.
- Provisioning: Setting up a new Eclipse install in a VM is easy since my favorites are saved to the Eclipse Foundation servers (via the Eclipse User Storage Service).
- Discovery: I've discovered several new plugins through its highlighted plugins.
- Analytics: As a publisher, it provides analytics on monthly installations and a simplified installation process especially for Eclipse version-specific add-ons.