Installing Codewind for VS Code
The Codewind installation includes two parts:
- The VS Code extension installs when you install Codewind from the VS Code Marketplace or when you install by searching in the VS Code Extensions view.
- The Codewind back end containers install after you click Install when you are prompted. After you click Install, the necessary images are downloaded from the internet. The download is approximately 1 GB.
- Optional: If you don’t click Install when the notification window first appears, you can access the notification again. Go to the Explorer view, hover the cursor over Codewind, and click the switch so that it changes to the On position. The window appears.
The following images are pulled. These images together form the Codewind back end:
When the installation is complete, the extension is ready to use, and you are prompted to open the Codewind workspace.
Codewind creates the
~/codewind-workspace folder to contain your projects. On Windows, you can find the workspace at the
C:\codewind-workspace folder. You can open the
codewind-workspace or a project within the workspace as your VS Code workspace. For more information, see Getting started: Codewind for VS Code.
Updating the Codewind plug-in
Starting with Codewind version 0.3.0, you can update your Codewind plug-in without uninstalling the extension. For example, you can update Codewind 0.3.0 to Codewind 0.3.1.
- Go to the Extensions view in VS Code.
- Search for the latest Codewind version in the Marketplace.
- Install the latest version of Codewind. Then, reload Codewind.
- Go to the Explorer view in VS Code.
- Depending on the current status of Codewind, one of two messages appear:
- If the images from a previous version or release of Codewind are installed on the system, but Codewind is not running, a message asks you to install the most recent images. Click OK to start the download.
- If an older version of Codewind is installed and running, a message asks you to update the older version. Click OK, and Codewind stops automatically, and new images begin to download.
- Wait for the Codewind installation to complete. Codewind starts and is ready to use.
Removing containers and images
To remove Codewind, see Uninstalling Codewind from VS Code.
To troubleshoot Codewind, see the Troubleshooting page.