[wtp-dev] Minutes of the WTP Status Telecon, 2006-01-05

See WTP Status Telecons [1] for more information.

[1] http://eclipse.org/webtools/development/status-telecons/index.html

Attendees:
Amy Wu
Arthur Ryman
Chris Brealey
Chuck Bridgham
David Williams
Der-Ping Chou
Igor Shabalov
John Lanuti
Kathy Chan
Keith Chong
Kosta Komissarchik
Larry Dunnell
Larry Isaacs
Lawrence Mandel
Phil Avery
Raghu Srinivasan
Rob Frost
Shaun Smith
Sheila Sholars
Ted Bashor
Tim deBoer
Tim Wagner

Minutes

0. Open Actions Items [1] - Arthur Ryman

Action items owners should update their status in Bugzilla prior to the status telecon. Thx.

113137 nor P3 naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx NEW 1.0.1 M101 [action] Create a tutorial document for facets
114446 nor P3 cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx NEW 1.0.1 M101 [action] Open API requests for non-API usages in WTP
122187 nor P3 naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx NEW 1.0.1 M101 [action] Generate reports of fixed bugs from CVS commit c...

Arthur - Naci is absent. No progress reported on his items.

Chuck - No progress yet on mine. I'll get to this asap now.
Arthur - This needs to be done quickly if we expect the other projects to provide APIs for WTP 1.5.
Chuck - We may not be able to react in WTP 1.5 but I'll at least open the bugs now. My target is M4.

David - I suggest we also show the action items that were completed since the last meeting.
Arthur - OK, I add that query.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=casesubstring&short_desc=%5Baction%5D&product=Web+Tools&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

1. WTP 1.0.1 Status- Arthur Ryman

We'll review the status of the Hot Bugs. [1]

Arthur - All Hot Bugs for 1.0.1 were reviewed. Comments were added to Bugzilla as appropriate.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/plans/1.0.1/adopter-hotlist-report.html

2. WTP 1.5 M4 Status - David Williams

David will review the status of the port to Callisto.

David - The builds are not working yet because I was getting the Update Manager site working. We are compatible with Eclipse 3.1 but there are changes in EMF and JEM. I believe we can make the changes backward compatible with Eclipse 3.1 to avoid split-streaming with the WTP 1.0.1 maintenance stream. Jan. 13 still looks feasible for M4.

3. WTP 1.5 Planning - Tim Wagner

All components leads should start creating milestone plans for this release. [1] You can use Bugzilla exclusively or augment Bugzilla via the XML milestone plans as in previous releases.

The main themes are Quality (reducing our large bug backlog), Eclipse currency (moving to Callisto), and standards currency (initial support for Java EE 5).

Since 1.5 is a very short release, we need to minimize disruption to adopters. Please review the proposed Non-API Code Deprecation Policy [2] and be prepared to discuss it.

Tim - This is a short release. We need to focus on bugs, and currency. Do any component leads have any other big ticket items?

David - For the editors we'd like to promote our internal model code to APIs. We should be able to preserve the old code to avoid breakage.

Tim - Will there be any more Feature breakdown work? Will it be disruptive?

David - Yes, but it should not be disruptive. We'll leave package names unchanged. New API may be required.

Arthur - Let's review the non-API code deprecation policy. We'll be providing a scanning tool so adopters can tell us what they are using. We'll also provide a tool so WTP developers can detect potential breakage. Are there any concerns? Hearing none, I'll add a link to the new Adopters page and will contact our know adopters.

Igor - Where can we get the scanning tool?

Arthur - Will be ready in a week or so. I'll include that information in the note to adopters.

Igor - There are no Exadel bugs on the Hot List since I just heard about this program. I'll send you our list.

Lawrence - Will there be other content content on the Adopters page, e.g. tutorials on how to do extensions?

Arthur - The idea is to provide links to content that adopters will find useful, e.g. ISV documentation. We might also creates pages for each adopter where they can describe their products.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/plans/1.5/

[2] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/adopters/

4. Requirements Process - Jochen Krause (Tentative)

Jochen will review the requirements process if he can make this call.

Arthur - Look's like this is a bad time slot for Jochen. He should probably schedule a separate Requirements telecon.

5. Other Business - Open

Arthur - No other business raised.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division