[wtp-dev] Minutes of WTP Status Telecon, 2005-11-17

Attendees:
Arthur Ryman
Chris Brealey
Chuck Bridgham
Craig Salter
David Klein
David Williams
Der-Ping Chou
Jeffrey Liu
Jill Maclem
John Lanuti
Kosta Komissarchik
Larry Dunnell
Lawrence Mandel
Naci Dai
Nitin Dahyabhai
Phil Avery
Sheila Sholars
Ted Bashor
Tim Wagner

See WTP Status Telecons [1] for more information.

[1] http://eclipse.org/webtools/development/status-telecons/index.html

Minutes

1. Review of Open Action Items [1] - Arthur Ryman

113137 nor P3 PC naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx NEW [action] Create a tutorial document for facets
114914 nor P3 PC syeshin@xxxxxxxxxx NEW [action] Post some examples of what not to do for context...
115141 nor P3 PC jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx NEW [action] The API Scanner should be able to run from withi...
115149 nor P3 PC jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx NEW [action] We need to start doing scalability testings
114446 nor P3 PC cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx NEW [action] Open API requests for non-API usages in WTP

5 bugs found

113137 -
        Naci - This work is in progress and will be completed after M9.

114914 -
        Lawrence - Done.

115141 -
        Jeffrey - Done. I created a Web page that explains how to run the scans [2].

115149 -
        Jeffrey -  Half done. It didn't make the M9 cutoff date. The test cases repeatedly open and close editors. We have a major memory leak in the editors. I will investigate.
        David - I will look at it. Jeffrey should check the test cases into HEAD and don't. release them until M9 is complete.
        Jeffrey - I've opened bugs for the leaks.

114446 -
        Chuck - No progress. I will do this for M10.
        Arthur - It is important to get these bugs opened soon because the Eclipse Platform will freeze its API sooner that usual this time because of the Callisto release. According to the plan [3] the API freeze occurs Feb. 17.

[1]
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=casesubstring&short_desc=%5Baction%5D&product=Web+Tools&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/apiscanner/apiscanner.html

[3] http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/eclipse_project_plan_3_2.html

2. WTP 1.0 Endgame Plan - Tim Wagner [1]

Arthur - Note that we are implementing a 1 week cooling off period for any fix prior to releasing WTP 1.0. Only release-defining problems will be fixed. Others will be README'ed. This means we have 3 weeks to make all fixes in order to achieve a 12/16 release.

Lawrence - Do the bullets refer to before or after the date?

Tim - Before, Nov. 30, Dec. 7, etc. I agree the note is confusing and will improve this next time.

Lawrence - What kind of UI changes are allowed?

Tim - Just the incomplete items.

Kosta - Some items didn't make M9

Chuck - No major additons though, just tweaks.

Laswrence - Just minor tweaks?

Kosta - e.g. graying out controls

Lawrence - Please open bugs against docs from now on for ANY UI change. This will alert the writers to update the documentation (if it exists).

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/wtp-dev/msg02830.html

3. WTP 1.0 API Scans - Jeffrey Liu

Arthur - We need to track API progress closely from now on. Why was there no API scan for the last I-build? [1]

Jeffrey - We added the timestamp to the build name and the scripts didn't handle it. Let's use 1116 [2] results here.

Jeffrey - There is lots of Javadoc missing but these are mainly @since tags.

Arthur - Just one @since is required per class, not for each method. In later releases, add @since to added methods.

Jeffrey - There are lots of missing tests. Please create test cases and report any coverage report errors.

Arthur - Is the coverage measured purely dynamically?

Jeffrey - Yes, we are using TPTP.  However, some methods, empty ones, are not showing up in the trace. Empty methods occur in Listeners.

Arthur - Can we filter out the listeners?

David - Let's discuss this in the mailing list since we should still have coverage of Listeners.

[1] http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/I-I200511111814-200511111814/

[2] http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/drops/I-I200511162235-200511162235/

4. WTP 1.0 M9 Status - David Williams

David - An M9 ready for testing has been declared. The PMC has approved the delay of M9 until 11/23. Component leads should post lists of fixed bugs once a day up until M9 is released. We need to fix severe bugs but minimize churn. We'll do one build a day. The critieia should be that the fix helps adopters.

Arthur - We need to start reviewing our backlog of serious and high priority bugs.

David - We'll go through Blocker and Critical lists now.

review followed ...

Arthur - We need to be consistent about Severity. We should use the standard Bugzilla definitions of Severity. [1]

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/bug_status.html#bug_severity

5. Other Business - Open

Arthur - The WTP 1.0 Release Review went smoothly yesterday. We now need to focus on completing the API Javadoc and JUnit, and on reducing the Bugzilla backlog.

Congratulations to John Lanuti on his election as Committer!

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411