Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
[wtp-dev] Minutes for the WTP Status Telecon, 2005-10-27


Larry Isaacs, Rob Frost, Raghu Srinivasan, Naci Dai, Der Ping Chou, Amy Wu, Peter Moogk, Chuck Bridgham
, Keith Chong, Jeffrey Liu, John Lanuti, Larry Dunnell, Nitin Dahyabhai, Phil Avery, Tim Wagner, Ted Bashor, Susan Yeshin, Kathy Chan, Chris Brealy, Craig Salter, Tim Deboer, Arthur Ryman

See WTP Status Telecons [1] for more information.


Time: 9:00 PM EEST (Istanbul), 2:00 PM EDT (Toronto/Raleigh), 11:00 AM PDT (Seattle)

Toronto Dial-in number: +1-416-343-2604
Toll-free Dial-in number: +1-866-576-2504
Intl Dial-in number: 800-4444-3030
Information: +1-866-224-5844

Conference id: 9976929


1. Review of Open Action Items [1] - Arthur Ryman

110309 enh P3 jst.jsp-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] Add WTP 1.0 JST Component API Plan Items to Master Bug 110276
110308 enh P3 david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] Add WTP 1.0 WST Component API Plan Items to Master Bug 110275
113134 nor P3 wst.server-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] Assign target milestone to critical/blocking bugs
113137 nor P3 tbashor@xxxxxxx jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] Create a proposal for the set of facets that we'll need for J2EE projects
111141 nor P3 jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx ASSI --- [action] Indicate JUnit Test Name with Performance Results


Jeff - Bug 110309 and 110308, done?

Ted - We do not have a API plan for facet APIs.

Arthur - Usually, we like APIs to age a bit before declaring them. Let's treat facet APIs as provisional in 1.0 and then promote them in 1.5?

Ted - So how does that affect products building on top that require to use facet APIs?

Arthur - We do not need to put "internal" in the packages to minimize disruption. Really just a statement whether they are APIs or not. Use scary Javadoc to inform people these are not API yet and they could be broken in the future.

Tim - Bug 113134, will assign proper milestone targets for these bugs and pass it on.

Ted - Bug 113137, will work on the documentation.

Jeff - Bug 111141. Doing some local testing, will have something available tomorrow or early next week.

2. Community Update

OOPSLA - Lawrence Mandel

Lawrence - Good overall. Lot of Eclipse content. Most people are interested in using WTP as a tool instead of extending it as a platform. Someone wanted to know how to use WTP to teach Web service in his class.

Lawrence - Not many ppl have pass experience on WTP, I think we need more exposure.

Lawrence - People wanted to know how to migrate existing projects. I've opened a tutorial request. Anyone interested, let me know.

Open Source Symposium - Lawrence Mandel

Lawrence - Welll attended. Again, not a lot of WTP experience, some Eclipse experience. A couple of ppl interested in how to use WTP in their course or help build their application.

BEA World - Naci

Naci - Well attended. 100 to 200 ppl in the room. A lot ppl is using Eclipse, but not a lot is using WTP. Someone has a browsing tool for WSDL file. Overall, good.

CASCON 2005 - Jeffrey Liu

Jeff - We had two workshops, one for WTP and one for Web service. The WTP workspace went well, we have about 30 participants. There were a lot of interest in data tools and the JSP debugger. There's also one person who was interested in extending the SSE framework to create an XUL editor.

Jeff - Not everyone in the workshop was able to finish the tutorial, mainly due to connection problems. We found a few bugs when WTP is run in disconnected mode.

Colorado Software Summit - Arthur Ryman

Arthur - People are very knowledgable, friendly crowd. About 500 ppl. I gave a developing Web service with Eclipse talk. About 150 ppl attended. 95% used Eclipse or something based on Eclipse. Only 5% used WTP. I used 0.7.1 in my demo, and things held together.

3. WTP 1.0 M9 Status - David Williams

Review bug backlog, builds, and plans.

Chuck - Few issue with facet. With Tim's and Chuck's fixes, we should be in pretty good shape.

Kathy - I was able to test some with yesterday's build. So with these fixes, I think things should be good.

Kathy - We have some JUnit failures, fix coming.

Lawrence - Added capabilities.

Tim - for runtime or SDK?

Lawrence - runtime

Tim - I think this only works in SDK

Lawrence - I'll look into this.

Chuck - Rob is looking at the project refactoring work. Please work with Rob if you will be or interested in working in this area.

Jeff - For this week, who's going to test in disconnected mode?

Tim - I will.

Craig - I will.

Naci - I work in a semi disconnected mode. For my struct application, if you block connections to, the Eclipse platform will come to a halt.

Craig - Please open a bug for this issue.

Tim - I was using a workspace from last week, so everything should be cached already. However, when I use this week's build against that workspace, it took 20 sec to validate. Looks like something may be bypassing the cache.

Craig - Lawrence and I will be spending some time to tackle these types of bugs.

Lawrence - The cache should be working in this build, I've put in a fixes a week or so ago.

Arthur - Were the struct configuration file trying to pull stuff from

Naci - Yes, and it sat there for 5 minutes.

Arthur - Can we create a "work offline mode" command?

Craig - I'll write up a document/proposal on how to fix these "offline" problems.

Arthur - Include things like, validation should fail gracefully, and not put red Xs in the problems view if disconnected.

Craig - The main issue is the timeout on URL connections.

Naci - But, in my case, I have the XSD cached, but it's still going off to the internet.

Jeff - We are running a bit late. Craig, please open a bug to track your proposal and we can continue the discussion there.

[action] Craig to create a proposal on how to fix the "offline" issues that we are seeing.

4. WTP 1.0 Performance - Jeffrey Liu

Review the Top Ten performance problems and the fix plan for them.

Jeff - A lot of the performance tests did not run this week, probably because of the facet API changes. Fix them for next week?

[action] Jeff to open bugs for performance testcases that did not run.

5. WTP 1.0 API Scans - Jeffrey Liu

Review the status of the API scans including our Javadoc and JUnit coverage, errors in the API, and violations of the Eclipse Platform API.

Jeff - Anyone looked at the API violation bugs?

Jeff - We need to either fix these violations or request for API.

Jeff - Some of them indicate that they cannot be fixed in 1.0 due to the lack of APIs. However, they don't have the corresponding "request for API" bug number in it.

Jeff - We should create these "request for API" bugs asap.

[action] Dev leads need to open API request against Eclipse Platform (or other prereqs) and add the API request bug # to the corresponding API violation bug.

6. WTP Features and Subsystems Status [1] - David Williams


Susan - Having a meeting on Monday to talk about this.

Lawrence - I spoke to David about doc not being in the build. They should be there soon.

Susan - Question for everyone, when you put context help hooks into your code, do those IDs point to the infopop plug-ins?

Arthur - Can we scan the source code and look for bad IDs?

Jeff - We probably can, but we need to know exactly what to scan for. Susan, can you send me an example of what not to do?

Susan - Yes.

[action] Susan to send out an example of what not to do for context help/infopop IDs.

7. Flexible Project Development Status - Chuck Bridgham

Chuck - concertrate on Facet integration. Everything should now be working this week.

Kathy - Web service is now using facet API. One workaround, module creation not working. So create your project before going through the wizard.

Kathy - I'll send out a note regarding the workaround.

8. Project Facets Development Status -Konstantin Komissarchik

Ted - J2EE APIs are now using Facets. We have the WTP facet wizard designed.

Arthur - Kathy, how are we with your plan

Kathy - Same as last week. We're one week behind.

Kathy - Should be funcational by next week. That leave us a few week for any integration issue.

Kathy - Most issue had been worked out.

9. Other Business - Open

Jeff - Just to remind everyone that when you create a new file, remember to put the proper copyright and license in the files. I've scanned WTP and opened bugs for any files that do not have proper copyright.

Arthur - Remember we had a build script to "build" the Web site. We now got XSLT enable in PHP, we should incrementally move towards this. Goal is to have no build.


Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/R8V/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920

Back to the top