[wtp-dev] Minutes of the WTP Status Telecon, 2005-06-09

Refer to the wtp-dev list for the Agenda.

Attendees: Arthur Ryman, Larry Dunnell, Lawrence Mandel, Jeffrey Liu, Keith Chong, Tim Deboer, Rupam Kuehner, David Williams, Nitin Dahyabhai, Amy Wu, Rob Frost, Ted Bashor, Tim Wagner, Jill Maclem, Paul Meijer, Ted Carroll, Gary Horen, Thomas Yip, Konstantin (Kosta) Komissarchik, Karl Lum, Rankin (Buji) Kern

Minutes

1. Meeting Time

Arthur: The current time is not good for some people. Can we move it up 2 hours?

TedB: BEA is OK with the change.

[RESOLVED] The meeting will be held 9:00 PM EEST = 2:00 PM EDT = 11:00 AM PDT.

2. Bugzilla Backlog

Arthur: We need to start reducing the bug queue. Starting next week, we'll review the open bugs. To start, everyone who has resolved bugs should verify them. Jeffrey posted a note showing there were around 800 bugs waiting to be verified.

Thomas: What builds can we verify them on? Only Milestones?

Arthur: You can use an I-Build. Don't use Nightly builds. Ideally, you should also contribute a JUnit test case to guard against regressions.

Arthur: Component leads should also start assigning targets to bugs. Since many bugs will be deferred to the next release, we need to add the Milestones for the December release. Let's discuss the Milestone plan next.

3. WTP 1.0 Milestone Schedule

Arthur: Assuming we ship WTP 1.0 on Dec. 16, that gives us 20 weeks after WTP 0.7. Do we want 2 or 3 Milestones?

[RESOLVED] There was general agreement that we need 3 Milestones (including the Endgame).

Arthur: Since we are not renaming the old WTP 1.0 Milestone builds, it will be confusing to reuse the Milestone names M1, M2, etc. Discussion on the mailing list indicated we should also not use M7 to avoid confusion with WTP 0.7. The options are either M8, M9, etc, or M101, M102, etc.

[RESOLVED] The Milestones will be called M8, M9, M10.

[ACTION] Arthur will get WTP 1.0 M8, M9, and M10 targets added to Bugzilla.

Arthur: How does the strawman schedule look?

Thomas: We need 8 weeks for the first Milestone for the Flexible Project changes.

Arthur: Sept. 23 is actually 8 weeks after we ship WTP 0.7. I was assuming some vacation so really only, say, 6 weeks of development time. Does that date look OK?

TimW: That date looks reasonable.

David: Just to clarify, M10 is the Endgame so now new function in it. If so, we only need 4 weeks.

Arthur: OK, we'll move M9 to Oct. 18.

[RESOLVED] The proposed Milestone schedule is:

M8 - Sept. 23
M9 - Nov. 18
M10 -  Dec. 16

4. Other Issues

TedB: I'd like to request a more rigorous approach to logging bugs in Bugzilla. We've seen fixes with no corresponding bug.

[RESOLVED] Everyone agrees to open bugs for all changes.

TimW: We should also adopt the Eclipse platform practice of increasing the level of notification of changes as we approach the end of the cycle, e.g. notify the mailing list and/or newsgroup of changes towards the end of the cycle.

[ACTION] TimW will propose a change notification policy.

Thomas: Can developers also include the CVS revision number when closing bugs?

TimD: We have the convention of putting the bug number in the cvs commit comments.

Thomas: OK, if  we can have CVS mail notification to a new mailing list.

Jeffrey - FYI,  Naci had some CVS logging but disabled it. (in CruiseControl) Probably because of the email traffic. However a separate mailing list should eliminate the objection.

[ACTION] Arthur will request a new mailing and CVS commit notifications.

David: Has anyone tried the latest I-Build.

Jill - Yes. It's problematic. Openning files, e.g. WSDL, causes crashes.

TimD: I can open JSP files.

TedB: We are running into problems in RC1 with Java 1.5 support. We're tracking JDT bugs.

David: We can move up to RC2.

TimD: Also the new EMF breaks J2EE. Chuck has checked in changes. We should move up to this after this week's I-Build.

[RESOLVED] After this week's I-Build we will move up to RC2 and the new EMF.

David:  We also need to move up to the matching versions of GEF and JEM when they are available.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411