[jetty-users] Jetty 9.4.44 Classloader visibility issue

Hi Community,

I've been experiencing weird classloading issues due to redeployment of
a single WAR Application containing latest Jersey Framework.

In the current setup I'm using Jetty 9.4.44 as Application Container to
host webapplications on a Linux host. In the past I've restarted the
Jetty process on Linux when I've deployed new applications. Recently
I've tried to just redeploy the WAR file to the server and was getting
ClassNotFound Exceptions from the Classloader.  A deeper analysis
showed, that the Jersey class was still loaded from the former
classloader instance of WebAppClassloader from a different context,
which I expected to be deleted with the webapplication on unloading the
context and redeploying the software without restarting the Jetty
Process. It happened even if the former application was removed and the
deployment of the WAR file happened minutes later in  a second step.

Is this a known issue with Jetty, reusing unused classloader instances?
Or is it a Bug with Jersey framework or Jetty Classloader isolation? How
could an application force Jetty to share multiple WebAppClassLoader
instances inside of one single context.

Thank you in advance

Michael

Back to the top