Re: [jetty-users] Question regd jetty ssl configuration.

On 16/07/2021 00:25, Greg Wilkins wrote:

John,

Not secure at all, nor is it intended to be.

The issue is that if the server is to be started automatically without the need to enter a passphrase, then encryption cannot be used since the server needs to provide the keystore passwords at runtime.    OBF is simply a way to put the pass phrases into a configuration file so that a casual observer looking over your shoulder cannot easily remember the configured passwords.    MD5 cannot be used at all in this situation (it is provided for checking things like BASIC authentication where a credential is sent over "the wire" but we want to avoid storing such credentials on the server, so we check the MD5 of the provided credential with the stored MD5).

Ah, I misread -- I was thinking of password authentication when I read it. Apols.

--
John English

Back to the top