The project has been created.
under the Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP).
This proposal is in the Project Proposal Phase (as defined in the
Eclipse Development Process) and is written to declare its intent and
scope. We solicit additional participation and input from the Eclipse
community. Please send all feedback to the Eclipse
libraries, the typing concepts are manifested through classes, mix-ins,
modules, interfaces, enumerations where you want to have excellent type code
assist, validation and searching for these types. In addition, there
completion for advanced features such as mixed typing,
overloaded functions, function call-backs, and typed object literals.
VJET is currently an open source project on ebayopensource.org and the project
plans on moving the code to the Eclipse Foundation to work closer with the
Eclipse ecosystem and the projects VJET depends on and forks.
code with simple JS code to more complex class/type libraries.
Out of Scope
Development toolkit or JSDT project and Orion. We do however plan on
collaborating with the JSDT and Orion projects.
- from authoring, to execution/test, and debugging.
- Code Assistance - based on static analysis, js type
inferencing, js type libraries, and user defined types
- Code Search - provide the best support for call hierarchy,
find declarations, type hierarchy, type searching
- Syntax (mandatory) and Semantic Checking (optional) - through
a type meta model we validate the well known types/ methods / api
usage - to help with upgrading
- Type Declarations using VJETDoc - Provide a simplified syntax
for defining JS object literals, functions, and JS library class
properties, methods in a comment
- Type library support using VJET VJO - ability to extend VJET
- Execution/Debugging - provide a way to run and debug directly
in Eclipse, integration between JDT debugger and VJET debugger is
VJET is primarily an Eclipse plug-in and it is our long term goal to work with the well established and
well known foundation for managed open source projects for eclipse plug-ins to help grow the community.
Based on community feedback we realized that we needed to work closer with the web tools project. To collaborate with
closer so that we can both use this module.
To help VJET project benefit from the large eclipse end-user and plugin developer community. We want to enable more developers to
use VJET capabilities as well as help them extend those capabilities for libraries.
The initial contribution will be from eBay software foundation.
The initial contribution will contain the following components:
- VJET core modules which do not depend on eclipse packages which act as back-end for VJET capabilities.
- Browser Dom syncing.
- JSDT forked AST parser minus Eclipse resource dependencies or JSDT inference engine.
- Vjo Generator - a generator for generating VJET vjo from a Jst model
- Java to Js generator translates Java from Eclipse JDT parser and translates the Java to JstType which is then generated into JS using Vjo Generator.
- VJET eclipse - The VJET IDE for eclipse provides the front end of VJET.
- DLTK extension points
- VJET selection engine
- VJET editor
- VJET builder to validate and sync the type-space.
- JST to DLTK light weight model translator.
- VJET debug Rhino server
- VJET debug integration with JDT debugger.
- VJET type space viewer for Eclipse
- VJET Script unit viewer for viewing the JstType and additional data in Script Unit
- VJET AST View which shows the original AST and recovered AST models.
- VJET help - Eclipse help, cheat-sheets.
- VJET WTP HTML editor integration.
- vjo.ctype - class
- vjo.otype - object literal type
- vjo.mtype - mixin type
- vjo.itype - interface type
- vjo.etype - enum type
- vjo.ftype - function type
- Dojo 1.6
- EcmaScript Ed. 5 api updates
- HTML Canvas 2D API
- jQuery 1.4
- jQuery Mobile 1.0 Alpha 4.1 (Requires JQuery Type lib)
- Node.js 0.4
- Console API type library
- Ext JS Core
- Orion JS
- W3C performance timing api - based on the draft w3c spec https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html
- VJET test libraries
- Ecma Script test suite
- W3c dom test suite
- Type Semantic testing
- Code assist testing
- Js to Java proxy tests
- Java to VJET vjo JS tests
- VJET dependencies
- test framework
- utilities required to run VJET JS IDE.
The initial contribution will include the following modified open source dependencies:
- a forked version of DLTK editor toolkit (EPL)
What is the extent of each fork?
- For the DLTK project we added back JDT toolkit features to this project that were not part of DLTK original design goals such as typing concepts which are part of JDT project which DLTK pulled out.
- For the JSDT project this fork is a cherry pick. We pulled out the parser package and removed the inferencing components.
What is the goal to resolve forks?
VJET has a goal of eliminating forks of eclipse.org project code and get things to a point where you could just extend the projects.
In the long term, the project we modify we would like to work together to help them to be at the right level of extensibility so we can resolve our forks and inturn help the community.
The following individuals are proposed as initial committers to
- Justin Early, eBay
- Justin is a committer on the VJET ebayopensource project where he has
made significant contributions over many years. He will be
contribute to all VJET JS IDE functionality in this new project.
- Dr. Ashvin Radiya, Avantsoft
- Ashvin and his team has provided significant contributions to the
existing code base. They will contribute extensions to VJET functionality in
this new project.
We welcome additional committers and contributions.
The following Architecture Council members will mentor this
- David Carver
- Chris Aniszczyk
The following individuals, organizations, companies and projects
have expressed interest in this project:
- Luca Candela, Sencha
- Simon Kaegi, IBM
Changes to this Document
||Updated initial contribution section, mentors section
||Updated sections interested parties, background, why eclipse, initial contribution