Project Plan For Eclipse Communication Framework, version 3.10
ECF released version 3.9.0 as part of the Luna Simultaneous Release, and in August 2014 ECF released version 3.9.1. The plan below describes the intended work for ECF 3.10, which will occur on or before the Mars Simultaneous Release scheduled for June 2015.
The major ECF 3.10 release deliverables are as follows:
ECF 3.10.0 M5
ECF 3.10.0 M6
ECF 3.10.0 M7
ECF 3.10.0 RC1
ECF 3.10.0 RC2
ECF 3.10.0 RC3
ECF 3.10.0 RC4
- Eclipse Tools and Eclipse-based tooling/products
- Eclipse-based Applications
- Eclipse RCP-based Applications
- Equinox servers
- Karaf-based servers
ECF has a policy of maintaining API backward compatibility with minor and service releases. API is considered all exported packages (i.e. packages that do not have
x-internal:=truein their Export-Package declaration. As an example, with the following declaration in the org.eclipse.ecf MANIFEST.MF
Export-Package: org.eclipse.ecf.core, org.eclipse.ecf.internal.core;x-internal:=true
The org.eclipse.ecf.core package is API, and the org.eclipse.ecf.internal.core package is not
Only with major releases (e.g. 2.0.0, 3.0.0) are incompatible API changes to be introduced (e.g. refactorings, renames), and even then only after discussion among multiple committers. For the parts of ECF used by the Platform (e.g. the core and file transfer bundles), NO incompatible API changes will be introduced, even for major releases, in order to maintain the platform backward compatibility constraints.
Tooling for ECF Remote Services
Consumers of ECF Remote Services can/could benefit from the creation of Eclipse-based tooling for declaring, implementing, testing, debugging, deploying, monitoring, and managing Remote Services. A major theme for ECF will be creation of tooling to ease the burden on the consumer of ECF's Remote Services implementation. Tooling:
- Evaluate and Import the GSoC 2014 work into an official plugin. (enhancement)
- Remote services information. (tracking)
- Provide a dedicated ECF remote services view. (enhancement)
- Show available data from the remote service. (enhancement)
- Hook remote service discovery into UI notification. (enhancement)
- Provide statistics on remote service registrations. (enhancement)
- Extend PDE Registry views to provide RS info. (enhancement)
Update existing providers to more recent upstream versions (jmdns, zookeeper, apache httpclient, others).
ECF Releng , Build and Distributions. Ongoing maintenance with respect to release engineering. Move build to Tycho-based build. Update releng to use Java 8. Better support automated creation of Karaf distribution meta-data. Routinely build maven repo.
- ECF 3.10.0 Releng Bugs
- Move build to Tycho-based build
- Update releng to use Java 8.
- Better support automated creation of Karaf distribution meta-data.
- Use java6 pack200 and avoid problems with embedded jars
ECF UI maintenance (tracking)
- Overhaul of the current communications perspective
- Rename of perspective, provide logo
- Gear perspectives towards remote services
New ECF Providers
Add the following new ECF providers
- Websockets provider (remote services distribution). (enhancement)
- Etcd-based provider (discovery). (enhancement)
- Example custom HTTP+REST/JSON|xml providers (TBD)