Eclipse Announces New SOA Initiative
OTTAWA, Canada, April 21, 2010 - The Eclipse Foundation is pleased to announce the creation of a new SOA Industry Working Group. The goal of this new initiative is to define a common Equinox-based SOA platform, including tools and runtime components, that can be used by vendors, system integrators and enterprises for SOA deployments. A common platform will enhance the interoperability between different vendor solutions and provide a technology platform for new projects that address future SOA customer requirements.
The working group is a collaboration of industry players, including Engineering Group, itemis, Obeo and Sopera. Each of these companies will use the Eclipse SOA platform for their own commercial solutions. The collaboration will focus on defining an 'Eclipse SOA package' that will be available for download from eclipse.org and on the definition and implementation of future requirements for the SOA platform.
The Eclipse SOA Platform will include a focus on some key technology areas, such as:
- REST and SOAP support for OSGi remote services.
- An extensible SOA framework based on open standards that provides enterprise-grade features such as the integration of a runtime service registry and policy-based endpoint negotiation and message processing.
- A new extended Business Activity Monitoring (eBAM) project that will provide a platform to monitor the performance and manage analysis of external systems.
- A new Eclipse Business Process Management (eBPM) project will provide a complete BPM solution (tools and runtime) based on Equinox and OSGi.
- Tool support to help developers create, test and deploy JAX-WS web services easily.
The first release of the Eclipse SOA Platform is now available. An updated version will be released as part of the Helios release train in June 2010. More information about the SOA Industry Working Group can be found at www.eclipse.org/eclipsesoaQuotes from Member Organizations
"Engineering Group has successfully helped customers deploy large-scale open source SOA deployments in organizations working in different domains, such as the government, finance and
healthcare. Our participation in the Eclipse SOA Platform and especially the eBAM and eBPM projects will allow us accelerate the industry adoption of this new technology."
- Antonio Majori, Engineering Group, Technical Manager and founder of Spagic project
"The Eclipse SOA IWG will foster a business-driven development of a common SOA platform, which supports users and system integrators to realize their integration and application
development projects better and faster. As an Open Source SOA pioneer SOPERA has in-depth SOA know-how, from which the IWG will benefit."
- Dr. Ricco Deutscher, CTO of SOPERA
"Based on cartography and migration tools, OBEO helps its customers in the modernization of existing applications to align them to a Service Oriented Architecture. Using SCA and
other Eclipse SOA facilities allow to refactor applications with interconnections between legacy systems and modernized systems based on a free software ESB."
- Stephane Drapeau, Obeo
Eclipse is an open source community, whose projects are focused on building an open development platform comprised of extensible frameworks, tools and runtimes for building, deploying and managing software across the lifecycle. A large, vibrant ecosystem of major technology vendors, innovative start-ups, universities and research institutions and individuals extend, complement and support the Eclipse Platform.
The Eclipse Foundation is a not-for-profit, member supported corporation that hosts the Eclipse projects. Full details of Eclipse and the Eclipse Foundation are available at eclipse.org