Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » [Zest]Question about dynamically refreshing a graph(Using the observers of EMF Objects)
[Zest]Question about dynamically refreshing a graph [message #895342] Thu, 12 July 2012 14:04 Go to next message
Florent Latombe is currently offline Florent LatombeFriend
Hi,

I am currently working on the possibility of using Zest to provide the representation of the animation of a model based on an ecore metamodel.

So far, my understanding of Zest is that the displayed content is fed to Zest through a list of objects (List<Object>), which makes the graph rather statical - as in, if I were to feed a list of objects coming from a file I am reading, modifying the file won't be updated onto the Zest viewer directly.

Of course there is always the possibility of re-reading the file upon certain conditions and re-arranging the graph. But I am afraid the computation of a whole graph may be the source of a scalability weakness.

EMF Objects provide an observer systems which allows registered listeners to be aware of changes in the EMF Object's properties for example.

I would like to know if there exists some way to hook Zest with EMF Objects / or more generally to any type of objects with observers shipped in, so that only a smaller part of the graph has to be re-drawn upon modifications. So far I haven't found anything that would give a positive answer to my request, which is why I was drawn here to have a direct answer Smile

Thank you,
Best regards
Re: [Zest]Question about dynamically refreshing a graph [message #895668 is a reply to message #895342] Sat, 14 July 2012 13:46 Go to previous message
Jan Krakora is currently offline Jan KrakoraFriend
Hi Florent,

I don't know the Zest framework in detail but AFAIK its GraphViewer class is the Jface Viewer implementation.
So it needs a content provider where you can add listener to your model.
Then you could call refresh on the viewer so it adds/removes nodes based on your new model state.
Previous Topic:View is not refreshing after model element has been removed & refreshChildren() called
Next Topic:mouse click notification
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:14:18 GMT 2024