Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Add to version control(Basic version control operations in Eclipse)
Add to version control [message #894166] Sat, 07 July 2012 06:35 Go to next message
Onno van der Straaten is currently offline Onno van der StraatenFriend
I was wondering how to add a new file to version control. I have a project on Github checked out. I created a new file and now I want to tell Git that it should be under version control. I was looking for something like "add to version control" under the right mouse menu but I can't find it. I'm confused about the Git terminology. What are the correct steps?
Re: Add to version control [message #894182 is a reply to message #894166] Sat, 07 July 2012 12:35 Go to previous message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
The Git operation is "add", which in general means add a change to the index (aka "staging area"). You can get there in several ways with egit, all of which are called "Add to Index". There's an item in the "Git" menu in the menubar; there's a toolbar item in the egit toolbar (looks like a +); and there's an item in the "Team" menu on the right-click popup.

If you don't have the egit menubar and toolbar items enabled, you should definitely do that, via Window -> Customize Perspective. For common operations it's a lot more convenient than navigating through the "Team" item in the popup menu.

Previous Topic:Cloned project contains changes
Next Topic:Proper way to create new branches?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:54:50 GMT 2024