Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » aborting a merge
aborting a merge [message #800878] Fri, 17 February 2012 16:21 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
I know egit supports aborting a rebase but as far as I know it doesn't support aborting a merge. Is that correct? If so, is there some difficulty that's getting in the way of adding this feature? It's a pretty important part of normal git merge usage, just as it is in rebase.

Re: aborting a merge [message #801395 is a reply to message #800878] Sat, 18 February 2012 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
R Shapiro skrev 2012-02-17 17.21:
> I know egit supports aborting a rebase but as far as I know it doesn't support aborting a merge. Is that correct? If so, is there some difficulty that's getting in the way
> of adding this feature? It's a pretty important part of normal git merge usage, just as it is in rebase.

A hard reset should do. Now that is not always the same as git merge --abort in that reset forgets all changes,
while git merge --abort tries to retain changes that were not committed prior to the merge. Not that the
git manual discourages merging when uncommitted changes are present.

-- robin
Re: aborting a merge [message #802970 is a reply to message #801395] Mon, 20 February 2012 18:58 Go to previous message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Right, I have that alternative documented in my own egit-notes, and I see now that it's also in the Egit help. For sure I agree it's a bad idea to merge into a branch with uncomitted changes.

Still, an explicit 'abort merge' egit operation seems like it's worth adding, even if the implementation is the same as a hard reset to HEAD (maybe with an additional check for uncommitted changes).
Previous Topic:JGit
Next Topic:is HTTP authentication broken again?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:47:33 GMT 2024