Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Remainder sector is very big
Remainder sector is very big [message #658904] Thu, 10 March 2011 11:19 Go to next message
Eugene  is currently offline Eugene Friend
Guys,

in my heapdump I have very big sector taken by Remainder (~75% of 5 GB)

What does it mean? Can I avoid it somehow?

Thanks
Re: Remainder sector is very big [message #658919 is a reply to message #658904] Thu, 10 March 2011 13:01 Go to previous message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
Hi,

This basically means that besides the biggest objects (objects retaining more heap than a given threshold) there are objects which consume about 5 Gb.

This could mean that you have millions of small objects (possibly of one or more classes), or it could also mean that you have a few (may be hundreds) of pretty big objects (but not big enough to be listed among the biggest).

Have you tried running the leak suspect report? It would try to do some grouping, which could be helpful. See this blog for more info:
http://dev.eclipse.org/blogs/memoryanalyzer/2008/05/27/autom ated-heap-dump-analysis-finding-memory-leaks-with-one-click/

If this doesn't help, you can try exploring the dominator tree manually (try also grouping by class there).

It could be at the end that the 5GB are just what the app needs to work properly under the load you have. In this case you can try the top components report, which should give you some hint which are the components using most of the heap and some other details which can be useful.

Let me know if this hints help.

Krum
Previous Topic:ClassLoader analysis and IBM .phd files
Next Topic:How to find what is pinning the app classloader with MAT?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:06:39 GMT 2024