Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Cannot send email to project emailing list... 450 4.7.1 Helo command rejected: Host not found
Cannot send email to project emailing list... 450 4.7.1 Helo command rejected: Host not found [message #656037] Wed, 23 February 2011 20:51 Go to next message
Jordan Hein is currently offline Jordan HeinFriend
I have been attempting to join the m2e project mailing list but any mail that I send to eclipse.org email addresses goes undelivered with this message:

"450 4.7.1 <bzn-mail01.zootweb.com>: Helo command rejected: Host not found"

My systems administrators tell me that eclipse.org is doing a dns lookup on the host sent to the helo command (bzn-mail01.zootweb.com) and because that does not resolve my emails are rejected. They claim that this is non-standard configuration by eclipse.org and that eclipse.org should not be doing that.

I asked my systems administrators why they were sending a domain that would not resolve with DNS and they tell me that they do that for tracking purposes to know where the email originated from in our corporate network.

That sounds flimsy to me but I don't know who or what to believe at this point. I just want to participate in a dang mailing list and can't do it. Sad

Can someone shed some light on this?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 February 2011 20:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot send email to project emailing list... 450 4.7.1 Helo command rejected: Host not found [message #656041 is a reply to message #656037] Wed, 23 February 2011 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Hi Jordan,

First off, I think it's unfortunate that you're having problems sending us mail I wish it would "just work".

The reality is that having functional domain names is part of the e-mail standard. Please see section 3.6 of this RFC:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt

Not only is it part of the standard, it's also part of being a good Internet citizen. When your email servers send us email, they are saying they are bzn-mail01.zootweb.com -- but we can't look it up. Not nice.

With that being said, this specific restriction prevents about 42,000 emails/day from even entering our queue.

If a lot of people wrote in and said they couldn't participate on the mailing lists, I'd certainly be open to relaxing the rules. The reality is that you're the first one to ever even mention this.

I really hope your Systems Admins will reconsider their email strategy -- if not only to to fix this problem, but also to 'play nice' on the Internet.

Denis

Jordan Hein wrote on Wed, 23 February 2011 15:51
I have been attempting to join the m2e project mailing list but any mail that I send to eclipse.org email addresses goes undelivered with this message:

"450 4.7.1 <bzn-mail01.zootweb.com>: Helo command rejected: Host not found"

My systems administrators tell me that eclipse.org is doing a dns lookup on the host sent to the helo command (bzn-mail01.zootweb.com) and because that does not resolve my emails are rejected. They claim that this is non-standard configuration by eclipse.org and that eclipse.org should not be doing that.

I asked my systems administrators why they were sending a domain that would not resolve with DNS and they tell me that they do that for tracking purposes to know where the email originated from in our corporate network.

That sounds flimsy to me but I don't know who or what to believe at this point. I just want to participate in a dang mailing list and can't do it. Sad

Can someone shed some light on this?

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Re: Cannot send email to project emailing list... 450 4.7.1 Helo command rejected: Host not found [message #656044 is a reply to message #656037] Wed, 23 February 2011 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jordan Hein is currently offline Jordan HeinFriend
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the RFC citation is enough ammo to get my systems administration folks to admit its a problem on our side and fix the problem.

Thank you!
Re: Cannot send email to project emailing list... 450 4.7.1 Helo command rejected: Host not found [message #656046 is a reply to message #656044] Wed, 23 February 2011 21:35 Go to previous message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Good luck. In the worst case, you could use a gmail / yahoo / hotmail account, provided your sysadmins don't block those sites Smile

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Previous Topic:running java from outside eclipse
Next Topic:bracket and parenthesis matching -- any way to expand/collapse code?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 12:03:34 GMT 2024