Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Cannot run program make: unknown reason - Problem with Remote C/C++ Projec
Cannot run program make: unknown reason - Problem with Remote C/C++ Projec [message #545934] Fri, 09 July 2010 16:05 Go to next message
brian is currently offline brianFriend
I've recently updated to Helios and CDT 7.0 and am running into an issue when I create a remote c/c++ project. I can create a remote project (Linux) and compile and run, but it seems to bork environment variables here on my local machine (also Linux). When I try to build a local project I get the error:

(Cannot run program "make": Unknown reason)

as well as the following warning:
Error launching external scanner info generator

Also, i get the following terminal output:
Unable to get $PATH.
Unable to find full path for "make"
Unable to get $PATH.
Unable to find full path for "gcc"

Here are the steps I took to replicate this error:
1. Clean install of Eclipse, CDT 7.0, Parallel Tools 4, and RSE runtime.
2. Import my project(s) into workspace, local builds are fine.
3. Create a new remote c/c++ project, remote build is fine.
4. Attempt to build local project, receive above errors. The same thing happens if I create a new local project.
5. The remote project is still able to build fine.
6. I can build my local project if I edit the project properties -> C/C++ Build -> Environment and add my PATH.

So it seems I can solve my problem, but my concern is am I just putting a band-on a underlying problem? Is there some configuration I need to edit? Is this a bug? I've tried to search but most of the results deal with people who have problems installing mingw on windows.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Cannot run program make: unknown reason - Problem with Remote C/C++ Projec [message #546394 is a reply to message #545934] Mon, 12 July 2010 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan is currently offline JohanFriend
The same problem here. It seems to be Helios-only; Galileo still works fine.

**** Build of configuration Debug for project TestC++ ****
(Cannot run program "make": Unknown reason)

and in the console window from where I started Eclipse:

Unable to get $PATH.
Unable to find full path for "make"
Unable to get $PATH.
Unable to find full path for "g++"
Unable to get $PATH.

$PATH is fine in that console window and all applications are present. As I said above: Galileo finds them - Helios doesn't.

The weirdest thing is that my C and C++ programs suffer from this problem, but my Fortran programs (using Photran - which is built more or less on top of CDT) have no problem at all.

By the way: it doesn't make any difference whether I start 64-bit Helios on a 64-bit Centos system or the 32-bit Helios on a 32-bit Slackware system.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 July 2010 15:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot run program make: unknown reason - Problem with Remote C/C++ Projec [message #547456 is a reply to message #546394] Sat, 17 July 2010 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan Wheeler is currently offline Evan WheelerFriend
I am also seeing this problem - originally with Ganymede, now on Helios. Adding the PATH variable to the environment also fixes it for me. The problem doesn't start happening until I do a few builds.

Evan
Re: Cannot run program make: unknown reason - Problem with Remote C/C++ Projec [message #653091 is a reply to message #547456] Tue, 08 February 2011 13:18 Go to previous message
Adrian Mising name is currently offline Adrian Mising nameFriend
I have the same problem, I tried to add path to my .bashrc (despite is redundant) and to generate a symbol into the project environment, but any of them worked for me.
When Eclipse starts, the messages:
Unable to get $PATH.
Unable to get $PATH.
Unable to get $PATH.
Unable to get $PATH.
GC Warning: Out of Memory! Returning NIL!

Are shown
To get it working, I forced as suggested in other posts of this site the following:

Open the project properties; Under C/C++ Build uncheck the "use default build command" and change the build command.
/usr/bin/make

When linking, the message: cannot find 'ld' appears,
a solution:
http://www.prog.org.ru/index.php?topic=12076.msg76207
It is in russian, but it basically suggest adding:
"g++ -B/usr/bin"
(or "gcc -B/usr/bin" in my case)
to the linker command (Project Properties-> C/C++ Build -> Settings->GCC C Linker->Command

It is working, generating an executable, but I still get the mentioned "unable to get $PATH", etc and besides, the debug executable cannot run from inside the environment but from a terminal it runs... into the environment claims that "binary not found"..

Any help with the paths problems and the debugging will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Previous Topic:Issues With Building C program
Next Topic:how to set predefined variable to project?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:52:31 GMT 2024