Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this?
Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #545806] Fri, 09 July 2010 04:34 Go to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael Moser
Messages: 914
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Today I suddenly started to get constant crashes in Helios. Every 5
minutes or so I suddenly get a popup that reads:

--------------------------
Unhandled event loop exception
PermGen space
--------------------------

and then the application terminates. Any idea what that means or what
might be causing this? It is getting totally unusable!

Michael
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #545823 is a reply to message #545806] Fri, 09 July 2010 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael Moser
Messages: 914
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I closed and deleted the project and then re-imported it. Since then
these "PermGen space" crashes have stopped, but now almost any file
operation (opening a file, closing it, renaming it, etc. ) becomes
extremely slow and every second time Helios crashes (i.e. just
disappears) in the process. This is getting nightmare!

M.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #545836 is a reply to message #545823] Fri, 09 July 2010 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mariot Chauvin is currently offline Mariot Chauvin
Messages: 174
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Please have a look to http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_increase_the_permgen_si ze_available_to_Eclipse%3F

Regards,

Mariot

Michael Moser a écrit :
> I closed and deleted the project and then re-imported it. Since then
> these "PermGen space" crashes have stopped, but now almost any file
> operation (opening a file, closing it, renaming it, etc. ) becomes
> extremely slow and every second time Helios crashes (i.e. just
> disappears) in the process. This is getting nightmare!
>
> M.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546024 is a reply to message #545836] Fri, 09 July 2010 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nathan Blair is currently offline Nathan Blair
Messages: 1
Registered: July 2010
Junior Member
I am also experiencing PermGen errors. I have increased the permgen space to 256m (and even to 512m) per the FAQ and it still crashes.

This is Helios (JEE developer distribution) with JDK1.6.0_21 on Windows XP 32-bit.

The workspace log pane has several "Unhandled event loop exception" messages with a stack trace of "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" followed by another "Unhandled event loop exception" with a stacktrace value of "An exception stack trace is not available."

Shutting down eclipse (when it works -- usually I have to kill the process) usually gives me a message of "Internal Error PermGen Space."

I can easily reproduce this if anyone can think of any other useful information that I could provide.

The .metadata/.log file has this:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.ide 4 1 2010-07-09 16:43:04.500
!MESSAGE Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.ide 4 1 2010-07-09 16:43:04.500
!MESSAGE Internal Error
!STACK 0
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.runtime.output.Trans letOutputHandlerFactory.getSerializationHandler(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl .getOutputHandler(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl .transform(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchManager.serializeDocum ent(LaunchManager.java:566)
at org.eclipse.debug.core.DebugPlugin.serializeDocument(DebugPl ugin.java:1158)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.Perspecti veManager.generatePerspectiveXML(PerspectiveManager.java:901 )
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.Perspecti veManager.saving(PerspectiveManager.java:1089)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$2.saving(DebugUI Plugin.java:476)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.executeLifec ycle(SaveManager.java:361)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager$1.run(SaveMa nager.java:170)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.broadcastLif ecycle(SaveManager.java:173)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.save(SaveMan ager.java:1108)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.save(Workspace .java:2006)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEWorkbenchAdvisor$ 5.run(IDEWorkbenchAdvisor.java:502)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread. run(ModalContext.java:121)
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546114 is a reply to message #546024] Sun, 11 July 2010 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olaf Groeger is currently offline Olaf Groeger
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I have the same problem since updating the jdk to 1.6.0_21. In my
opinion Oracle has changed the jdk so that the eclipse launcher
doesn't recognize it anymore as Sun VM.

Workaround: Start eclipse from the command line and pass the
PermGenSpace parameter:
eclipse.exe -vmargs -XX:MaxPermSize=256m


> I am also experiencing PermGen errors. I have increased the permgen
space
> to 256m (and even to 512m) per the FAQ and it still crashes.
>
> This is Helios (JEE developer distribution) with JDK1.6.0_21 on
Windows XP
> 32-bit.
>
> The workspace log pane has several "Unhandled event loop exception"
> messages with a stack trace of "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space"
> followed by another "Unhandled event loop exception" with a
stacktrace
> value of "An exception stack trace is not available."
>
> Shutting down eclipse (when it works -- usually I have to kill the
> process) usually gives me a message of "Internal Error PermGen
Space."
>
> I can easily reproduce this if anyone can think of any other useful
> information that I could provide.
>
> The .metadata/.log file has this:
>
> !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.ide 4 1 2010-07-09 16:43:04.500
> !MESSAGE Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the
> workbench. !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.ide 4 1 2010-07-09
16:43:04.500
> !MESSAGE Internal Error
> !STACK 0
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
> at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.runtime.output.Trans
> letOutputHandlerFactory.getSerializationHandler(Unknown Source)
> at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl
> .getOutputHandler(Unknown Source)
> at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl
> .transform(Unknown Source)
> at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchManager.serializeDocum
> ent(LaunchManager.java:566)
> at org.eclipse.debug.core.DebugPlugin.serializeDocument(DebugPl
> ugin.java:1158)
> at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.Perspecti
> veManager.generatePerspectiveXML(PerspectiveManager.java:901 )
> at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.Perspecti
> veManager.saving(PerspectiveManager.java:1089)
> at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$2.saving(DebugUI
> Plugin.java:476)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.executeLifec
> ycle(SaveManager.java:361)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager$1.run(SaveMa
> nager.java:170) at
> org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.broadcastLif
> ecycle(SaveManager.java:173)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.save(SaveMan
> ager.java:1108)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.save(Workspace
> .java:2006)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEWorkbenchAdvisor$
> 5.run(IDEWorkbenchAdvisor.java:502)
> at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.
> run(ModalContext.java:121)
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546223 is a reply to message #545806] Mon, 12 July 2010 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurelien Pupier is currently offline Aurelien Pupier
Messages: 558
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

I opened a bug : https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=319514

Aurélien Pupier - BonitaSoft S.A.
My blog
My company Eclipse-related blog
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546358 is a reply to message #546223] Mon, 12 July 2010 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2010
Junior Member
For what it is worth, I have the same issue with JDK 1.6.0_20
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546366 is a reply to message #546358] Mon, 12 July 2010 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurelien Pupier is currently offline Aurelien Pupier
Messages: 558
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

No Real Name wrote on Mon, 12 July 2010 16:41
For what it is worth, I have the same issue with JDK 1.6.0_20


Did you modify your eclipse.ini?


Aurélien Pupier - BonitaSoft S.A.
My blog
My company Eclipse-related blog
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546367 is a reply to message #546366] Mon, 12 July 2010 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2010
Junior Member
Yes, with
-vm
<path>JDK 1.6.0_20 and
also updated the three space parms from 256K to 512K
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546369 is a reply to message #546367] Mon, 12 July 2010 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurelien Pupier is currently offline Aurelien Pupier
Messages: 558
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

No Real Name wrote on Mon, 12 July 2010 16:55
Yes, with
-vm
<path>JDK 1.6.0_20 and
also updated the three space parms from 256K to 512K


You want tell 512m? if not, that is the reason

Otherwise, double-check that you have your eclipse.ini with no errors.


Aurélien Pupier - BonitaSoft S.A.
My blog
My company Eclipse-related blog
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546370 is a reply to message #546369] Mon, 12 July 2010 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2010
Junior Member
Sorry, it was 512M. Afraid I am somewhat of a newbie, is there a tool to validate eclipse.ini or to "double check" should I just eyeball it.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546374 is a reply to message #545806] Mon, 12 July 2010 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2010
Junior Member
Additional info: eclipse starts fine, but when I try to import a maven project/pom, I get the Perm-Gen error. I am using m2eclipse.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #546396 is a reply to message #546114] Mon, 12 July 2010 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Niefer is currently offline Andrew Niefer
Messages: 990
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Olaf is correct, the launcher is looking for a vendor "Sun Microsystems",
which is now "Oracle".

As a side note, it is better to add the -XX:MaxPermSize=256m in the
eclipse.ini file after the -vmargs line because specifying vm arguments on
the command line override the vm arguments in the .ini file.

-Andrew
Olaf Groeger wrote:

> I have the same problem since updating the jdk to 1.6.0_21. In my
> opinion Oracle has changed the jdk so that the eclipse launcher
> doesn't recognize it anymore as Sun VM.
>
> Workaround: Start eclipse from the command line and pass the
> PermGenSpace parameter:
> eclipse.exe -vmargs -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
>
>
>> I am also experiencing PermGen errors. I have increased the permgen
> space
>> to 256m (and even to 512m) per the FAQ and it still crashes.
>>
>> This is Helios (JEE developer distribution) with JDK1.6.0_21 on
> Windows XP
>> 32-bit.
>>
>> The workspace log pane has several "Unhandled event loop exception"
>> messages with a stack trace of "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
> space"
>> followed by another "Unhandled event loop exception" with a
> stacktrace
>> value of "An exception stack trace is not available."
>>
>> Shutting down eclipse (when it works -- usually I have to kill the
>> process) usually gives me a message of "Internal Error PermGen
> Space."
>>
>> I can easily reproduce this if anyone can think of any other useful
>> information that I could provide.
>>
>> The .metadata/.log file has this:
>>
>> !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.ide 4 1 2010-07-09 16:43:04.500
>> !MESSAGE Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the
>> workbench. !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.ide 4 1 2010-07-09
> 16:43:04.500
>> !MESSAGE Internal Error
>> !STACK 0
>> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>> at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.runtime.output.Trans
>> letOutputHandlerFactory.getSerializationHandler(Unknown Source)
>> at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl
>> .getOutputHandler(Unknown Source)
>> at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl
>> .transform(Unknown Source)
>> at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchManager.serializeDocum
>> ent(LaunchManager.java:566)
>> at org.eclipse.debug.core.DebugPlugin.serializeDocument(DebugPl
>> ugin.java:1158)
>> at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.Perspecti
>> veManager.generatePerspectiveXML(PerspectiveManager.java:901 )
>> at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.Perspecti
>> veManager.saving(PerspectiveManager.java:1089)
>> at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$2.saving(DebugUI
>> Plugin.java:476)
>> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.executeLifec
>> ycle(SaveManager.java:361)
>> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager$1.run(SaveMa
>> nager.java:170) at
>> org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
>> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.broadcastLif
>> ecycle(SaveManager.java:173)
>> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.save(SaveMan
>> ager.java:1108)
>> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.save(Workspace
>> .java:2006)
>> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEWorkbenchAdvisor$
>> 5.run(IDEWorkbenchAdvisor.java:502)
>> at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.
>> run(ModalContext.java:121)
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559240 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
Hi!!
Does it work??
I have the same problem.
I increased the PermGen space in the eclipse.ini file on 512m, but nothing happen.
I use the same eclipse version and the same java version as the user above.
I have a new bigger problem. I pressed the "run"-button and there comes a massage that this function isn't available.
Do someone know how I can solve these both problems??

Thanks
jared.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559242 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurelien Pupier is currently offline Aurelien Pupier
Messages: 558
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

Update your vm.

BTW there is a sticky post: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=171988& amp;start=0&S=404fe750f2e7196f4c1d669b0f5a5678


Aurélien Pupier - BonitaSoft S.A.
My blog
My company Eclipse-related blog
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559244 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
I must download the jdk 1.6.0_21??? But I have already this version or is there a newer version of it??
I installed the jdk1.6.0_21 two or four weeks ago.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559246 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurelien Pupier is currently offline Aurelien Pupier
Messages: 558
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

yes this version has been respinned, the b06 was first released and the respin is b07

You can check this using java -version


Aurélien Pupier - BonitaSoft S.A.
My blog
My company Eclipse-related blog
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559247 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
I must only install the b07??
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559249 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurelien Pupier is currently offline Aurelien Pupier
Messages: 558
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

YES

Aurélien Pupier - BonitaSoft S.A.
My blog
My company Eclipse-related blog
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559251 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
Ok, but on the oracle site there isn't a Java version with b07 only with b06.
Could you give me a link to this download site, please??

Thanks.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559252 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurelien Pupier is currently offline Aurelien Pupier
Messages: 558
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

my bad, it was b05 which was respinned to b06 so this the correct version

Aurélien Pupier - BonitaSoft S.A.
My blog
My company Eclipse-related blog
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559258 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
I use b06. This is the correct version, right??
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559259 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurelien Pupier is currently offline Aurelien Pupier
Messages: 558
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

Yes

so this not related to the same issue


Aurélien Pupier - BonitaSoft S.A.
My blog
My company Eclipse-related blog
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559261 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
I thought that this failure is solved in the b06?? But I used the b06 and I have this failure.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559287 is a reply to message #545806] Thu, 16 September 2010 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
A workmate has the b07, but I don't know where I can download this b07. He hasn't any problem, but I have.
Do someone know where I can download the java version b07??

Thanks for your efforts.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559568 is a reply to message #545806] Fri, 17 September 2010 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
The following error message comes because the jdk 1.6.0_21 b06 has a bug, right??
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2010-09-17 10:35:36.482
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space


Can Eclipse produce the error message above or does the error message only come if there is a bug in the jdk??

thanks.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559685 is a reply to message #559568] Fri, 17 September 2010 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin Komissarchik
Messages: 937
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Jared,

Eclipse has a known compatibility problem with b06. You should get 1.6.0_21 b07 build or apply the workaround detailed in multiple places.

JDK Downloads: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/inde x.html

Problem Description and Workaround: http://lt-rider.blogspot.com/2010/07/oracle-jvm-6u21-and-ecl ipse.html

- Konstantin
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #559853 is a reply to message #545806] Mon, 20 September 2010 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
Thanks. I thought that there isn't any b07 version to download, but at home I try to download this version and it was a b07. I thought this, because on the download page they wrote about the b06 version.

It works. I'm happy.

Thanks for your efforts.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #560049 is a reply to message #559853] Mon, 20 September 2010 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert  is currently offline Robert
Messages: 14
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
So I have this same issue. This thread has been very helpful. Thanks to the poster and contributors!

I assume the JDK b07 requires the JDK, JRE, and debug jars; is that correct?

I am at my wits end on this crazy project. 17 steps deep on the dependencies and now I have to go back and change java itself. Madness. I was ready to call Helios Eclipse "collapse" as a rude nickname.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #560052 is a reply to message #560049] Mon, 20 September 2010 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert  is currently offline Robert
Messages: 14
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
Sad

Incidentally, I installed the JDK 7 b10 which was the only 7 build on the referenced download page. Still within seconds I got a permgen space error. I have also modified my eclipse.ini file as recommended above, also to no avail.

I have no idea what might be wrong.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #596954 is a reply to message #560052] Tue, 21 September 2010 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David Wegener
Messages: 1336
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
You installed jdk 7. Eclipse doesn't yet support jdk 7. You need to download jdk 6. Go get the latest jdk 6 from java.sun.com. Be sure to pick the jdk not the jre. Run the installation to install it on your system. Point the eclipse.ini to the javaw.exe file in the bin directory.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #624536 is a reply to message #596954] Wed, 22 September 2010 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert  is currently offline Robert
Messages: 14
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
OK I went back and installed jdk 6. Unfortunatly the latest JDK I can find on the site tests as b06. If b07 exists I haven't founf it. I've found numerous references to it everywhere but on the Oracle site. Any ideas?
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #627089 is a reply to message #624536] Wed, 22 September 2010 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert  is currently offline Robert
Messages: 14
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
OK so I found the correct download for the b07. It's the Windows JRE ONLY so some of the info in this thread is misleading.

Then of course, my JVM will not start. The only java dependent application not working at all now on my machine is eclipse.

Now what?

Any advice on this issue?
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #627180 is a reply to message #627089] Wed, 22 September 2010 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David Wegener
Messages: 1336
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
The JDK on the oracle download site (java.sun.com) does contain the b07 version. I just downloaded it and installed it.

Are you specifying the vm as either a command line argument with -vm {path to jdk}/bin/javaw.exe on the command line or including the vm definition in your eclipse.ini.

If not, you may have path problems that are causing a different vm to be run instead of the one you think is running.

If you can't get the b07 JDK installed, then follow one of the other work arounds documented in the sticky post at the top of the forum.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #627608 is a reply to message #627180] Wed, 22 September 2010 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert  is currently offline Robert
Messages: 14
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
Ah, many thanks. I am relatively new to the eclipse / java world. Thanks for your help. I have no idea what VM the thing was looking for because as far as I know its the only one on my machine. I always uninstall before I install so ....


Regardless it works so TYVM!
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #629649 is a reply to message #545806] Wed, 29 September 2010 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jared is currently offline jared
Messages: 10
Registered: September 2010
Junior Member
If I want to change the eclipse.ini file, have I only insert the following line??
-vm {path to javaw.exe}\jdk\bin\javaw.exe

Should I use "..." or '...' for the path??

Thanks.
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #643792 is a reply to message #546396] Wed, 08 December 2010 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iain  is currently offline Iain
Messages: 6
Registered: December 2010
Junior Member
Im running into the PermGen space issue even after adding the ini settings. My ini file is as follows:

-Xms512m
-Xmx512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

However, Ive tried most ever configuration of heap Xms, Xmx and XX:MaxPermSize.

The issue for me seems to be especially common when I try and run a Birt report from within Eclipse.

Im running jdk 1.6.0_21 and Eclipse Version: Helios Service Release 1
Build id: 20100917-0705

Is there anything else I can try except altering the ini settings?
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #643793 is a reply to message #545806] Wed, 08 December 2010 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurelien Pupier is currently offline Aurelien Pupier
Messages: 558
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

As said previously try to upgrade your jvm.

Aurélien Pupier - BonitaSoft S.A.
My blog
My company Eclipse-related blog
Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #643794 is a reply to message #643793] Wed, 08 December 2010 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iain  is currently offline Iain
Messages: 6
Registered: December 2010
Junior Member
Sorry, I posted the wrong version. I am running :

java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

However the error still occurs. As soon as I starting running Birt reports I get the following error (or similar):

SEVERE: Error processing request
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

[Updated on: Wed, 08 December 2010 05:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Constant "PermGen space" crashes in Helios: what is this? [message #645649 is a reply to message #545806] Sun, 19 December 2010 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Tomas Rehorek is currently offline Tomas Rehorek
Messages: 1
Registered: December 2010
Junior Member
What I found helpful was to downgrade jvm. I don't know how to use eclipse.ini, so I use

eclipse.exe -vm "c:\program files\java\jdk1.6.0_10\bin"


to run Helios (Windows platform, as you can see). Running JDK1.6.0_10, everything started to work fine, which was great as I urgently needed to make Helios work for school.
Previous Topic:Helios won't launch following reboot
Next Topic:How to make sure that all workspace projects are loaded by workspacejob asynchronously
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 01 12:00:22 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02706 seconds