Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » ModalContext fork problems in application startup
ModalContext fork problems in application startup [message #466477] Thu, 19 April 2007 22:08
Camilo Arango is currently offline Camilo ArangoFriend
Hello,

I am building an RCP application that requires authentication. My authentication dialog has a progressBar implemented using ProgressMonitorPart. I want the progressBar to be in undefined state while I contact the server and perform the authentication in a background thread. I achieved this with the following code that is called in the login dialog:

<code>
ModalContext.run(loginOperation, true, progressMonitor, this.getShell().getDisplay());

}
</code>

The login operation performs all the necesary authentication:

<code>
try {

monitor.beginTask("Autenticando...", 1);

/* do some authentication stuff... */

} finally {

monitor.done();

}
</code>

It worked very well in Eclipse 3.2. I migrated the RCP runtime to 3.3M6 and the progressBar does not paing anymore.

Doing a little research I found out that the problem is caused because the <b>ModalContext is not doing the fork</b> and therefore the login process is running in the main thread. Apparently, this is caused because the dialog is opened in the initialization of the platform, namely, in the <b>postStartup()</b> of the <b>WorkbenchAdvisor</b>. If I open the dialog after using an action in a menu item, everything works as expected.

I temporarily fix the issue by opening the dialog in the eventLoopIdle(Display display) method, using a flag to ensure that it is opened only once.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem. Thanks in advance.

C.A.
Previous Topic:About ContextManager.contextChanged
Next Topic:Getting current word at cursor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:44:28 GMT 2024