Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » cdtdebug.sh missing eclipse binary?(Luna CDT standalone debugger problem)
icon8.gif  cdtdebug.sh missing eclipse binary? [message #1388087] Thu, 26 June 2014 01:45 Go to next message
Wendell MacKenzie is currently offline Wendell MacKenzieFriend
I've installed Eclipse Luna GA 4.4 today along with the associated CDT 8.4 on Redhat Enterprise linux 6.5.

Eclipse and CDT work fine thus far.

Trying to get the standalone debugger to work now. I ran the cdt install script and it created the ~/cdtdebugger directory and launch script. However, when I run it, it doesn't have the eclipse in the directory. It appears to be expecting the eclipse binary (a stripped down version ?) to be in the:
~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.4.0_1473617060_linux_gtk_x86
but it is not.

appears to be this bug: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=436554

anyone else run into this or know what to do to fix it?

[Updated on: Thu, 26 June 2014 02:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: cdtdebug.sh missing eclipse binary? [message #1388641 is a reply to message #1388087] Thu, 26 June 2014 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
The bug you are quoting should be fixed in CDT 8.4 (i.e. there should be no pushd/popd references in the install.sh script). Furthermore, pushd/popd should operate finde in RHEL 6.5.

Did you run the install script directly from the org.eclipse.cdt.debug.application_1.0.0_xxxx/scripts directory where you installed upstream Eclipse? (it requires you to run it from there) The script uses relative directories to back up from
that location to find the relative directories around it, including the plugins directory and the eclipse directory which contains the eclipse executable.

Now, did you download the Eclipse Classic version from eclipse.org and then update with the CDT from the Luna repository? There should be no reference to your .eclipse directory if you changed into the scripts directory of the standalone plugin and ran the install.sh script there as documented in the README file.
Re: cdtdebug.sh missing eclipse binary? [message #1388656 is a reply to message #1388641] Thu, 26 June 2014 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Johnston wrote on Thu, 26 June 2014 15:00
The bug you are quoting should be fixed in CDT 8.4 (i.e. there should be no pushd/popd references in the install.sh script). Furthermore, pushd/popd should operate finde in RHEL 6.5.

>> correct. I see no references in the install.sh script to these commands

Did you run the install script directly from the org.eclipse.cdt.debug.application_1.0.0_xxxx/scripts directory where you installed upstream Eclipse? (it requires you to run it from there) The script uses relative directories to back up from
that location to find the relative directories around it, including the plugins directory and the eclipse directory which contains the eclipse executable.

>> correct. I ran install.sh while cd'ed into the directory in my home directory
>> ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.4.0_1473617060_linux_gtk_x86/org.eclipse.cdt.debug.application_1.0.0.201406111759/scripts

Now, did you download the Eclipse Classic version from eclipse.org and then update with the CDT from the Luna repository? There should be no reference to your .eclipse directory if you changed into the scripts directory of the standalone plugin and ran the install.sh script there as documented in the README file.

>> I see. What caused the CDT stuff to install into my ~/.eclipse directory then?
>> Do I need to re-install it and specifically target it to go into the eclipse
>> install in /opt/eclipse??

Re: cdtdebug.sh missing eclipse binary? [message #1388660 is a reply to message #1388656] Thu, 26 June 2014 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regarding what I installed, here is what I did:

- downloaded eclipse-SDK-4.4-linux-gtk.tar
- unzipped and untarred into /opt/eclipse
- downloaded cdt-8.4.0.tar.zip
- fired up eclipse 4.4 and used the Help -> Install Software and pointed it to
the cdt-8.4.0.tar.zip and selected all

Looks like it put all the CDT components in my ~/.eclipse dir.

sound correct??
Re: cdtdebug.sh missing eclipse binary? [message #1388668 is a reply to message #1388660] Thu, 26 June 2014 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are correct...my install error.

using eclipse-cpp-luna-R-linux-gtk.tar as the eclipse install works now.

thx.
Wendell
Re: cdtdebug.sh missing eclipse binary? [message #1388675 is a reply to message #1388660] Thu, 26 June 2014 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
I think I know what is happening. When you go to run the eclipse you installed, you ended up running another Eclipse. The RHEL/DTS or Fedora rpm version Eclipse will use the .eclipse directory to handle locally installed components. The RHEL/DTS/Fedora Eclipses install components in a shared directory for the whole system, owned by root. Since these cannot be updated on the fly for a particular user (you), any additional components you install/update are put into your local ./eclipse directory.

The upstream Eclipse SDK 4.4 doesn't use the .eclipse directory. It expects to download all features/plugins directly into a single directory. You can in fact have multiple versions of Eclipse installed at the same time. This is not possible with the rpm versions. When you install/update features, they get added directly to the respective plugins or features directories which sit below the eclipse sub-directory. The eclipse executable also sits there.

The Standalone script cannot handle a mix of rpm installed Eclipse and locally downloaded modules. There is a Fedora rawhide package eclipse-cdt which installs in the root directories and for the Standalone Debugger, a special /usr/bin/cdtdebug binary gets installed. For that form of installation, it is tougher because the magic config.ini file in your $HOME/cdtdebugger directory actually contains full jar paths (this is because CDT is in /usr/lib64/eclipse/dropins and Eclipse cannot reconcile dropins plugins just by name; it needs the full path specified). For RHEL, the eclipse-cdt package is only packaged as part of DTS.

So, you need to first run the actual Eclipse you downloaded in /opt/eclipse/xxxxx/eclipse/eclipse and install the CDT from the Luna repository (Help->Install New Software...pick the Luna repository and select the CDT SDK plus the Standalone Debugger and docs). Then go to that same directory where you ran Eclipse from and go to the eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.debug.application_1.0.0_xxxxxxxx/scripts directory and run sh ./install.sh there. It should then tie the cdtdebug.sh script properly to your locally installed Eclipse.
Re: cdtdebug.sh missing eclipse binary? [message #1388836 is a reply to message #1388675] Fri, 27 June 2014 01:51 Go to previous message
Thx muchly for the help Jeff.

Wendell
Previous Topic:Proper architecture to extend CDT debugger
Next Topic:make: *** [ ] Error 1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 18:59:16 GMT 2024