Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » [ETL] Why do I get dynamicEObjects?(first time epsilon user so probably a newbie question, but...)
[ETL] Why do I get dynamicEObjects? [message #1386682] Thu, 19 June 2014 12:46 Go to next message
Hristofor Mirchev is currently offline Hristofor MirchevFriend
Hi guys,

I am looking for m2m transformation languages for a project I have and I am currently considering Epsilon as the option that best suites me. So naturally I started playing around with the examples from the site to get the hang of it. I started with the simplest Tree2Graph one. I manually downloaded the two .ecore files, the .etl file, the .model and the launch.xml, put them in a project edited the launch.xml to point to the .ecores correctly, I registered the .ecores and ran the transformation. It worked flawlessly.

My question came when I started playing around with the transformation rule. I inserted a simple "t.parent.print()" expecting to see an instance of "Tree" and was surprised that it was actually a dynamicEObject pointing to a "Tree". My question is why does this happen and can I get it to be a reference to "Tree" as for my project I'd need to do a simple manipulation over the original emf model entity.
Re: [ETL] Why do I get dynamicEObjects? [message #1386709 is a reply to message #1386682] Thu, 19 June 2014 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Hristofor,

Since you've not generated Java code from Tree.ecore, the Epsilon EMF driver loads your model reflectively (i.e. as a bunch of DynamicEObjects) - which is the expected behaviour. I realise that this can be confusing so if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: [ETL] Why do I get dynamicEObjects? [message #1386784 is a reply to message #1386682] Fri, 20 June 2014 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man,

thanks for the fast reply.

So, assuming everything is okay with my project, since i have generated model code for my metamodels it should work as I intend. Thanks for clearing it up. I'll give it a go and try implementing a transformation for my project this weekend.

I'll keep this topic open if I run into the problem again Rolling Eyes

Thanks again for the fast and friendly reply.
Re: [ETL] Why do I get dynamicEObjects? [message #1386821 is a reply to message #1386784] Fri, 20 June 2014 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Hristofor,

You're welcome. A couple of things to keep in mind when you give this a go: 1) you should run your transformation in a workbench spawned from the workbench where you have generated the Java code, 2) in your new workbench, you don't need to register Tree.ecore using the right-click menu. Any problems, let me know.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: [ETL] Why do I get dynamicEObjects? [message #1386889 is a reply to message #1386821] Sun, 22 June 2014 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I guess, I am missing something as I can't seem to make it work.

I've made a small example to illustrate, so can I send it to you with steps to reproduce so you can have a look and explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,
Hristofor
Re: [ETL] Why do I get dynamicEObjects? [message #1386921 is a reply to message #1386889] Mon, 23 June 2014 06:50 Go to previous message

Hi Hristofor,

Sure. Please send your example to epsilon.devs@gmail.com and I'll have a look at it.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Previous Topic:CSV driver help
Next Topic:[EOL] Call operation from inside an operation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:51:30 GMT 2024