Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Question regarding Extensions(Extension Points and Evaluation)
Question regarding Extensions [message #1385707] Tue, 10 June 2014 15:27 Go to next message
Ludwig Moser is currently offline Ludwig Moser
Messages: 354
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello Community!

i try to create an Extension Point for Eclipse, so i follow the tutorial of Lars Vogel :Eclipse Extension Points and Extensions

everything is clear until point 7.6

"Evaluating the registered extensions" where an evaluation-Handler is created.
ok, now whe got a handler...
but what i actualy expect is that if my Plugin gets activate my extension gets added to the defined extension point.

how can i do so? do i need to execute this evaluation handler in the activator?
because right now, my extension point does nothing.

I'm a bit lost from point 7.6 onwards
any help clearing this situation would be nice

PS: right now i have a solution without extension point, but it would be nice to have it done correct!
Re: Question regarding Extensions [message #1385716 is a reply to message #1385707] Tue, 10 June 2014 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5420
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Lars' Tutorial shows the most common use of the Extension Registry which
assumes no bundles are installed after the registry has been read. Do
you really need the dynamic nature?

Tom

On 10.06.14 17:27, Ludwig Moser wrote:
> Hello Community!
>
> i try to create an Extension Point for Eclipse, so i follow the tutorial
> of http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseExtensionPoint/article.html
>
> everything is clear until
> http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseExtensionPoint/article.html#tutorialextensionpoint_readingextension
>
>
> "Evaluating the registered extensions" where an evaluation-Handler is
> created.
> ok, now whe got a handler...
> but what i actualy expect is that if my Plugin gets activate my
> extension gets added to the defined extension point.
>
> how can i do so? do i need to execute this evaluation handler in the
> activator?
> because right now, my extension point does nothing.
>
> I'm a bit lost from point 7.6 onwards
> any help clearing this situation would be nice
>
> PS: right now i have a solution without extension point, but it would be
> nice to have it done correct!
Re: Question regarding Extensions [message #1385720 is a reply to message #1385716] Tue, 10 June 2014 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ludwig Moser is currently offline Ludwig Moser
Messages: 354
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I solved it now by a singleton which is in an exported package.
it IS working. But if i add a freature i need to change the singleton and release both. Thats why i searched for the dynamic solution... (and it would be my first extension point) Wink
So curious to get it working with eclipse tools rather than working around

or would you recommend to use singletons?
Btw: my functionality is like a menu or toolbar...
Re: Question regarding Extensions [message #1385726 is a reply to message #1385720] Tue, 10 June 2014 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5420
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I would not use extension points at all but Declarative Services. I
still I think I don't fully understand what you are talking about but i
think what you talk about is similar to the so called registries we use
in the platform e.g. EditorRegistry, ViewRegistry, ... .

Tom

On 10.06.14 19:03, Ludwig Moser wrote:
> I solved it now by a singleton which is in an exported package.
> it IS working. But if i add a freature i need to change the singleton
> and release both. Thats why i searched for the dynamic solution... (and
> it would be my first extension point) ;)
> So curious to get it working with eclipse tools rather than working around
>
> or would you recommend to use singletons?
> Btw: my functionality is like a menu or toolbar...
Re: Question regarding Extensions [message #1385732 is a reply to message #1385726] Tue, 10 June 2014 18:31 Go to previous message
Ludwig Moser is currently offline Ludwig Moser
Messages: 354
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Using an osgi service would be possible. Will try that tomorrow. Thanks for your suggeston!
Previous Topic:Starting a RCP app maximized
Next Topic:'Restore Default' doesn't call the 'PropertyChange' method
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Oct 24 07:51:13 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02177 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software