Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Check plugin availability(Is it valid to check if a plugin is installed)
Check plugin availability [message #1336299] Tue, 06 May 2014 10:24 Go to next message
Pradyumna Bhide is currently offline Pradyumna BhideFriend
Hello all,

I have 2 plugins P1 and P2.
P1 facilitates initiating a process. Some type of objects (say type C) can be associated with the process only if P2 is installed. However, associating objects of type C with this process does not require any functionality provided by P2.

In such cases can P1 check if P2 is installed (using Platform.getBundle()) and based on that allow associating object of type C or is it necessary that it writes an extension point for which P2 has to provide an extension that allows associating objects of type C.

What is ideal thing to do?

Thanks and regards,
Pradyumna
Re: Check plugin availability [message #1336593 is a reply to message #1336299] Tue, 06 May 2014 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon Scholz is currently offline Simon ScholzFriend
Hi Pradyumna,

Could you please offer more details?
Is P2 depending on P1?
And where is the type C defined? In P1, P2 or somewhere else?

Quote:
However, associating objects of type C with this process does not require any functionality provided by P2.

I guess P2 depends on P1 and P2 uses objects of type C, but you want to skip the creation of type C objects, if P2 is not present, right?

I would suggest that P2 itself creates the type C objects.

You can achive that in several ways, but please first answer my questions and go a bit more into detail so that I can help you better. I want to aviod giving you the wrong hints.

Best regards,

Simon
Re: Check plugin availability [message #1336643 is a reply to message #1336593] Tue, 06 May 2014 13:45 Go to previous message
Pradyumna Bhide is currently offline Pradyumna BhideFriend
Thanks for responding Simon.

You are right, P2 is dependent on P1. Type C objects are defined in some other plugin, say P3. P2 is dependent on that plugin as well.
My UI in P1 does not create objects of type C. It just allows associating (search and select) existing type C object with a process. The search functionality is available in a plugin P0. P1 and P2 both depend on P0. P1 just reuses the search functionality exposed by P0 along with existing validations.

Basically P1 is a plugin that allows updating objects in bulk. Optionally user can use a tracking object (type C object) to track the changes. Tracking application may or may not be installed (P3). P2 (Support of tracking for type C objects) is dependent on P3. We want to allow user to search for type C objects in P1 UI provided P2 is installed (which assures P3 is installed as well). I don't need P2 for implementing the search functionality per se but it makes sense to allow this search and selection only if P2 is installed.
I know it's a bit confusing but I hope above explanation clarifies my requirement.
Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks,
Pradyumna
Previous Topic:Webstart "Starting application" dialog causes RCP application to disappear below another w
Next Topic:Eclipse failed to run Installed Plug-ins
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:26:57 GMT 2024