Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Webstart "Starting application" dialog causes RCP application to disappear below another w
Webstart "Starting application" dialog causes RCP application to disappear below another w [message #1325760] Thu, 01 May 2014 11:18 Go to next message
Henno Vermeulen is currently offline Henno VermeulenFriend
I have a problem with Webstarting an Eclipse RCP applications under Windows. This even happens when webstarting the RCP mail example.

When a window such as explorer/browser/etc.. is open and the webstart application is launched, the workbench window gets opened below this open window.

What happens:
1. either open the jnlp in a browser or from desktop shortcut while explorer is active
2. webstart splash screen is shown
3. "starting application" dialog is shown
4. "starting application" disappears
5. the last active window (either browser or explorer) receives focus again
6. after a delay Eclipse splash screen shows
7. the workbench gets started and disappears behind the last active window

When I change the jnlp to do a background update check (which is not what I want), the workbench does open on top. In this case there is no step 3 and 4 but step 5 does seem to be present.

When I change my ApplicationWorkbenchWindowAdvisor to force the workbench shell to be active this doesn't help but does result in the taskbar icon flashing. This is native Windows behavior to prevent applications from stealing focus from other applications.

What could be a solution to this other than using background update checks?

Re: Webstart "Starting application" dialog causes RCP application to disappear below anoth [message #1325945 is a reply to message #1325760] Thu, 01 May 2014 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Background update check

<update check="background" policy="always" />

would be an OK alternative if nothing else helps. My application itself already shows a message that an update is available and you should restart.

However Java Web start uses an old cached JNLP file but seems to randomly work/perhaps after 5 to 10 minutes. This problem does not occur with

<update check="always" policy="always" />

(I did have issues with cached JNLP before which I solved by letting the webserver use an expiration date in the past for the JNLP file AND setting the last modified header for any jar files)
Re: Webstart "Starting application" dialog causes RCP application to disappear below anoth [message #1327770 is a reply to message #1325945] Fri, 02 May 2014 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps a custom progress indicator could help?? http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/webstart/customProgressIndicatorForAppln.html
Re: Webstart "Starting application" dialog causes RCP application to disappear below anoth [message #1333941 is a reply to message #1327770] Mon, 05 May 2014 10:00 Go to previous message
Indeed it does! The custom progress indicator is shown when initially downloading the application but is hidden when it is up to date. This solves the issue for the most common use case where there are no updates. It is not solved when there are updates and the custom progress indicator is shown.
Previous Topic:How can I Update Custom Text Editor?
Next Topic:Check plugin availability
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:04:59 GMT 2024