Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » WST Validation framework uses 160-200% CPU for 5-10 minutes
WST Validation framework uses 160-200% CPU for 5-10 minutes [message #218668] Sun, 03 August 2008 19:26 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: rosec.messagingdirect.com

I'm running the Ganymede release of Eclipse/WST, and I'm getting
situations where -- and this is happening as I type this -- Eclipse is
simply sitting here using between 160-200% of the CPU to run a
"Validation Monitor" whose status in the progress monitor indicates that
it's blocked on something. I was going to copy the message, but in the
time it took for the UI to repaint when I moved this mail windows out of
the way (2 minutes, if you're counting) the progress operation had
cleared itself, and now I can't get the message back.

I have gotten to the point where step one of any project creation for me
is to disable all validation tools; they do this for each and every
project for which I've enabled them. I don't lack for processor
resources or RAM -- Eclipse is run with -Xmx2048m and I have a dual-core
2.66Ghz CPU -- but I cannot consistently get validation to work any
faster than "wait 10 minutes for any part of your machine to respond"
which seems... inconvenient. I haven't managed to find a consistent
trigger for this.

I'm certainly willing to try some test cases if anyone thinks it will
help. As it is, some days it'd be faster to edit my java code in emacs,
and that's just madness :)

--
Chris Rose
Developer Planet Consulting Group
(780) 577-8433
crose@planetci.com
Re: WST Validation framework uses 160-200% CPU for 5-10 minutes [message #218694 is a reply to message #218668] Mon, 04 August 2008 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: dcarver.starstandard.org

I've noticed some similar things, but mostly if I have a large number of
XSDs, and XML files in a project. The more HTML files, and items one
has in a project the longer it can take for the validation to complete.

What I've taken to doing is setting up Include and Exclude rules to help
control what gets validated and when. This significantly seems to
help. By setting them up as project specific settings, they can be
controled on a project by project basis. If you have a team of
developers, make sure you check in your .settings folder for the
project, this way your other team members will pickup the changes.

With this said, it sounds like this could be one of those "real world"
situations that might not be tested as well as it should be from a
performance stand point. I would recommend opening up a bug report
with steps on how to reproduce the issue.

Dave

Chris Rose wrote:
> I'm running the Ganymede release of Eclipse/WST, and I'm getting
> situations where -- and this is happening as I type this -- Eclipse is
> simply sitting here using between 160-200% of the CPU to run a
> "Validation Monitor" whose status in the progress monitor indicates that
> it's blocked on something. I was going to copy the message, but in the
> time it took for the UI to repaint when I moved this mail windows out of
> the way (2 minutes, if you're counting) the progress operation had
> cleared itself, and now I can't get the message back.
>
> I have gotten to the point where step one of any project creation for me
> is to disable all validation tools; they do this for each and every
> project for which I've enabled them. I don't lack for processor
> resources or RAM -- Eclipse is run with -Xmx2048m and I have a dual-core
> 2.66Ghz CPU -- but I cannot consistently get validation to work any
> faster than "wait 10 minutes for any part of your machine to respond"
> which seems... inconvenient. I haven't managed to find a consistent
> trigger for this.
>
> I'm certainly willing to try some test cases if anyone thinks it will
> help. As it is, some days it'd be faster to edit my java code in emacs,
> and that's just madness :)
>
Re: WST Validation framework uses 160-200% CPU for 5-10 minutes [message #218773 is a reply to message #218694] Mon, 04 August 2008 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3225
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

David Carver wrote:
> I've noticed some similar things, but mostly if I have a large number of
> XSDs, and XML files in a project. The more HTML files, and items one
> has in a project the longer it can take for the validation to complete.
>
> What I've taken to doing is setting up Include and Exclude rules to help
> control what gets validated and when. This significantly seems to
> help. By setting them up as project specific settings, they can be
> controled on a project by project basis. If you have a team of
> developers, make sure you check in your .settings folder for the
> project, this way your other team members will pickup the changes.
>
> With this said, it sounds like this could be one of those "real world"
> situations that might not be tested as well as it should be from a
> performance stand point. I would recommend opening up a bug report
> with steps on how to reproduce the issue.
>
> Dave
>
> Chris Rose wrote:
>> I'm running the Ganymede release of Eclipse/WST, and I'm getting
>> situations where -- and this is happening as I type this -- Eclipse is
>> simply sitting here using between 160-200% of the CPU to run a
>> "Validation Monitor" whose status in the progress monitor indicates
>> that it's blocked on something. I was going to copy the message, but
>> in the time it took for the UI to repaint when I moved this mail
>> windows out of the way (2 minutes, if you're counting) the progress
>> operation had cleared itself, and now I can't get the message back.
>>
>> I have gotten to the point where step one of any project creation for
>> me is to disable all validation tools; they do this for each and every
>> project for which I've enabled them. I don't lack for processor
>> resources or RAM -- Eclipse is run with -Xmx2048m and I have a
>> dual-core 2.66Ghz CPU -- but I cannot consistently get validation to
>> work any faster than "wait 10 minutes for any part of your machine to
>> respond" which seems... inconvenient. I haven't managed to find a
>> consistent trigger for this.
>>
>> I'm certainly willing to try some test cases if anyone thinks it will
>> help. As it is, some days it'd be faster to edit my java code in
>> emacs, and that's just madness :)
>>
I haven't seen where such rules are set up. Would this speed up Seam?
Seam seems to knock Eclipse down on the ground and kick it unmercifully.
It can take 20-30 seconds to change focus from one type of file to
another (open a different file for editing). I don't know what's going
on, but it strikes me as validation slowness. This may or may not be a
Ganymede problem; I haven't upgraded from 3.3.2 yet.

Russ Bateman
Re: WST Validation framework uses 160-200% CPU for 5-10 minutes [message #218795 is a reply to message #218773] Mon, 04 August 2008 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: dcarver.starstandard.org

Windofkeltia wrote:
> I haven't seen where such rules are set up. Would this speed up Seam?
> Seam seems to knock Eclipse down on the ground and kick it unmercifully.
> It can take 20-30 seconds to change focus from one type of file to
> another (open a different file for editing). I don't know what's going
> on, but it strikes me as validation slowness. This may or may not be a
> Ganymede problem; I haven't upgraded from 3.3.2 yet.

The include/exclude is only available in Ganymede and with Web Tools
3.0. It may or may not speed up the validation, but the more
validators you have running, the more threads it kicks off for the
validators, and depending on your system it can become very slow.

I've had a project take as long as 30 minutes to complete validation
without first going through and including/excluding items. Mostly I
use the exclude functionality at the project level.

Dave
Re: WST Validation framework uses 160-200% CPU for 5-10 minutes [message #218838 is a reply to message #218795] Mon, 04 August 2008 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: rosec.messagingdirect.com

I'll bite; how can I disable this? It's worth noting, the project is
NOT a dynamic web project or any of the WST project types, it's just a
plain old java project (build infrastructure gets in the way... don't
ask ;) ) that contains a lot of J2EE artifacts. I can't find an option
to disable validation other than the one in the project validation
settings to 'suspend all validators' but that didn't help with the issue
I was describing until I restarted Eclipse.

David Carver wrote:
> Windofkeltia wrote:
>> I haven't seen where such rules are set up. Would this speed up Seam?
>> Seam seems to knock Eclipse down on the ground and kick it unmercifully.
>> It can take 20-30 seconds to change focus from one type of file to
>> another (open a different file for editing). I don't know what's going
>> on, but it strikes me as validation slowness. This may or may not be a
>> Ganymede problem; I haven't upgraded from 3.3.2 yet.
>
> The include/exclude is only available in Ganymede and with Web Tools
> 3.0. It may or may not speed up the validation, but the more
> validators you have running, the more threads it kicks off for the
> validators, and depending on your system it can become very slow.
>
> I've had a project take as long as 30 minutes to complete validation
> without first going through and including/excluding items. Mostly I
> use the exclude functionality at the project level.
>
> Dave

--
Chris Rose
Developer Planet Consulting Group
(780) 577-8433
crose@planetci.com
Re: WST Validation framework uses 160-200% CPU for 5-10 minutes [message #218860 is a reply to message #218838] Mon, 04 August 2008 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: dcarver.starstandard.org

Chris Rose wrote:
> I'll bite; how can I disable this? It's worth noting, the project is
> NOT a dynamic web project or any of the WST project types, it's just a
> plain old java project (build infrastructure gets in the way... don't
> ask ;) ) that contains a lot of J2EE artifacts. I can't find an option
> to disable validation other than the one in the project validation
> settings to 'suspend all validators' but that didn't help with the issue
> I was describing until I restarted Eclipse.
>

If you want to disable validation for validators on a global basis, you
can go into Preferences -> Validation and deselect the validators you
don't need.

On a project by project basis it's under Project->Properties->Validation

Dave
Re: WST Validation framework uses 160-200% CPU for 5-10 minutes [message #218876 is a reply to message #218838] Mon, 04 August 2008 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cameron Bateman is currently offline Cameron Bateman
Messages: 480
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
> I'll bite; how can I disable this? It's worth noting, the project is
> NOT a dynamic web project or any of the WST project types, it's just a
> plain old java project (build infrastructure gets in the way... don't
> ask ;) ) that contains a lot of J2EE artifacts. I can't find an option

If you have time, could you open Windows->Show View->Progress and post the
names of the validators that seem to be long running when you have this
problem? This might help us narrow down which validators are causing the
problems.


Thanks,

Cameron
Re: WST Validation framework uses 160-200% CPU for 5-10 minutes [message #218973 is a reply to message #218876] Tue, 05 August 2008 15:57 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: rosec.messagingdirect.com

I'll do that the next time it occurs. From what I recall, there was
only one validator in there. I'm sure it'll happen again, so I'll
report back at that time.

Cameron Bateman wrote:
>> I'll bite; how can I disable this? It's worth noting, the project is
>> NOT a dynamic web project or any of the WST project types, it's just a
>> plain old java project (build infrastructure gets in the way... don't
>> ask ;) ) that contains a lot of J2EE artifacts. I can't find an option
>
> If you have time, could you open Windows->Show View->Progress and post the
> names of the validators that seem to be long running when you have this
> problem? This might help us narrow down which validators are causing the
> problems.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cameron
>
>

--
Chris Rose
Developer Planet Consulting Group
(780) 577-8433
crose@planetci.com
Previous Topic:JBoss with JSR88 deployment
Next Topic:not able to find WLS plugin for WTP2.0
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 25 07:10:15 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02400 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software