Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Build path vs. compile libraries vs. deployment libraries please help clarify
Build path vs. compile libraries vs. deployment libraries please help clarify [message #1292921] Sat, 12 April 2014 06:18 Go to next message
Mike Mottos is currently offline Mike MottosFriend
Hello there,
I have eclipse with tomcat. I am new to eclipse and I come from netbeans! Smile So far I really like it, but this one things drive me nutts:

I set my build path libraries. However, I noticed that even if I remove all my libraries from "Build Path", the project still compiles properly - i.e. it seems to ignore the build path and loads libraries from somewhere else.... where can I find this "somewhere else"? (However, the code editor itself marks them as incorrect (class not found exceptions), but the compiler still builds?)

Also, there is a deployment path when I click on "run confuguration". Should I put all the libraries of my project in there?? When I run it keeps saying things like "ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.Log" even though commons-logging.jar is in the project Build Path... This forces me to put it in the Deployment Path, but this makes no sense... generally I don't have to do that with external tomcat.

Can someone please help me clear this up??? What is going on????
Re: Build path vs. compile libraries vs. deployment libraries please help clarify [message #1293458 is a reply to message #1292921] Sat, 12 April 2014 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Mottos is currently offline Mike MottosFriend
Actually, a more specific question is:
What is the difference between "Build Path" and "Deployment Assembly"

It looks like some libraries need to be in the build path, and others need to be also added int he deployment assembly.

Thanks!!
Re: Build path vs. compile libraries vs. deployment libraries please help clarify [message #1298594 is a reply to message #1293458] Wed, 16 April 2014 11:20 Go to previous message
Sarika Sinha is currently offline Sarika SinhaFriend
Hi Mike,
Projects can be compiled from Class path settings, Check out Window-> Preferences -> Java -> Build Path-> Classpath Variables.

Run Confriguration, takes the settings from the Project, it can be edited if you want a different setting for compile and run time.
Hope it helps.

Sarika Sinha
JDT Programmer
Previous Topic:My development environment has rotten
Next Topic:Remote Debugger Wrong Line
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:34:52 GMT 2024