Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Advice on debugging pde(Given the lack of responses on many dependency resolution posts, will have to debug pde myself)
Advice on debugging pde [message #1278550] Thu, 27 March 2014 13:41 Go to next message
David Wynter is currently offline David WynterFriend
Hi,

I recently posted 2 questions on the forum on 2 issues. The first is why pde is trying to load plugins not in my dependency tree and the second is why it cannot load a plugin dependency at runtime that is in my dependency tree. I searched the forum and there are a fair number of questions like this with zero replies. Once you understand the versioning restrictions available to specify there does not seem to be a lot that can go wrong.

The documentation just does not seem to cover these problems. It is not as if we have a choice if we want to use Eclipse RCP, we have to use pde. Since I am totally unable to continue work until this is resolved I will have to debug pde myself.

Any advice on where to start?

Thx.

David

[Updated on: Thu, 27 March 2014 13:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Advice on debugging pde [message #1278631 is a reply to message #1278550] Thu, 27 March 2014 16:11 Go to previous message
David Wynter is currently offline David WynterFriend
Hi,

Well this appears to relate to flakiness of how PDE discovers plugin dependencies.

If you create a Debug configuration from your product file, in my case CDOServer.product, then
1. you go an select the Plug-ins tab in the Debug Configuration
2. then click "Add Required plug-ins"

it may build a dependency that just does not work.

It seems you have do step 1 above, then
2. "Deselect All"
3. Select your own package
4. Click "Add Required plug-ins" a few times until the number of required plugins stop increasing, see the display "x out of y selected"

Then it worked ok. I must have missed this in the documentation...

Hope this helps others.
Previous Topic:How to hide "Set Encoding..." menu
Next Topic:Runtime failure to resolve plugin that is in manifest.mf
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:59:55 GMT 2024