Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Accessibility problems in file dialog(Screen readers fail to respond properly when navigating in SWT file dialogs)
Accessibility problems in file dialog [message #1277123] Tue, 25 March 2014 14:34 Go to next message
Michael Whapples is currently offline Michael WhapplesFriend
I don't know whether this is a bug or not, hence I want to ask for some advice first.

I am working on BrailleBlaster (www.brailleblaster.org) which uses SWT for its GUI. I have noticed with some screen readers that they do not report movement in the open file dialog. One of the affected screen readers is NVDA (www.nvda-project.org). When inspecting the log output from NVDA (relevant part attached) to find out what is going on, it appears that when moving into the file list in the open file dialog something in NVDA is timing out. I assume this means that the SWT file dialog is not responding quick enough.

Other screen readers such as WindowEyes also seem affected.

To check that nothing odd is being done in BrailleBlaster which might be causing this, I decided to find something much more simple, SWT Snippet72 seemed ideal. I decided to change the file dialog in Snippet72 to be SWT.OPEN so that I am still dealing with an open dialog. This also showed the issue.

Interestingly I have noticed that in the Eclipse IDE that the open file dialog does not have the same issue. I tried creating an Eclipse4 RCP application (based on 4.3),, I just used the template application from the E4 tools new RCP application wizard. The open dialog in this application also does not seem to be affected by this issue.

Whilst RCP applications are not affected I must note they still have a slight lag when navigating the open file dialog with a screen reader, when I compare them to something such as notepad.

A few things which may or may not be useful in reproducing this: The computer is a Windows7 64-bit system, I have tried it both with 32-bit and 64-bit Java and SWT. I believe Windows7 has a different file dialog when compared with Windows XP. Also when I enter the open file dialog I am moving to another data directory by typing in the file name field (eg. d:\myfiles\).

Here are some specific questions I have:
* Does SWT just use the standard native file dialog or does it make a "look-a-like" dialog?
* What is different about a Eclipse RCP application and a stand alone SWT application which may lead to one having a much less responsive file dialog?
* In considering the previous question, what might we try to do to make a stand alone SWT application behave more like the RCP application?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Re: Accessibility problems in file dialog [message #1295248 is a reply to message #1277123] Mon, 14 April 2014 05:39 Go to previous message
Niraj Modi is currently offline Niraj ModiFriend
For further investigation on this issue, as reported by Michael, refer bugzilla:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=432180
Previous Topic:How to know if a Calendar Month Up/Down button is pressed
Next Topic:SWT 4.3 browser displays IE 11 incorrectly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:48:35 GMT 2024