Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Mixed C++ FORTRAN Project Help Needed(Configuring Eclipse for programming, building and running a C++ GUI program that will call FORTRAN. )
Mixed C++ FORTRAN Project Help Needed [message #1236772] Tue, 28 January 2014 03:06 Go to next message
Mike Tarullo is currently offline Mike TarulloFriend
I am about to start working on a C++ GUI "wrapper" project for an existing FORTRAN program.

I already had Eclipse Kepler installed in my VM Linux environment and some research on the internet indicated that I would need the Eclipse PTP. I installed the PTP from the software updates in Eclipse. How I want to get my project started. What I need to know is how to go about doing this.

I would like to start off using both the GNU C++ and GNU FORTRAN compliers. I ran across one post on the internet that talked about difficulties doing this in Eclipse. That person switched to Sun Studio. I would like to try an stay with Eclipse if possible so I'm looking for help configuring my environment upfront.

I've looked quickly at the Photran documentation for Eclipse and honestly it does not look that helpful for configuring mixed C++\FORTRAN projects.

If anyone has worked with this and been successful it would be greatly appreciated if you could share your experience with me.

Thanks
Re: Mixed C++ FORTRAN Project Help Needed [message #1237437 is a reply to message #1236772] Wed, 29 January 2014 18:24 Go to previous message
Mike Tarullo is currently offline Mike TarulloFriend
I'm going to reply to my own post, in the hope that what I found out may help others that are just starting out.

The Eclipse Help Platform - Fortran Development User Guide had all the information I needed to get a Fortran project going, albeit a very simple one (Hello World). Just being able to create a project, build it and execute it is quite a confidence builder. But this is only a start and a long way from being able to manage a non-trivial project! From here I just plan to build on this very simple foundation very slowly.

When I wrote this reply there were over 12K views of my original post but no replies. I noticed the advice one responder gave to someone who had posted a general and somewhat open-ended question, post a specific question if you want to get an answer. While I can understand this, sometimes people just starting out have general questions and just need some recommendations.

For instance, does anyone have any recommendations on if it is better for a mixed C++/Fortran project to be created as a C++ project with combined C++\Fortran source code and build the project as a single executable or to build the Fortran code as a library (static or dynamic) project, build the C++ project as a separate project and call the Fortran code from the C++ executable?

Now for a somewhat more specific question related to the above. If it is better to build the Fortran code as a library (or one just wanted to experiment with this option) how do you create a "library project"? The documentation appears to only address how to create an executable.

Also, now that I have followed the rather cookbook steps to create a Fortran project in Eclipse and can build and execute it, I would like to understand more about why I am picking the options explained in the documentation, rather than just doing it by rote. I have checked the rest of the documentation but there does not seem to be an explanation of the options selected when creating the project.

Thank you,
Mike
Previous Topic:Disassembly view - Show Opcodes
Next Topic:Binary Not Found bug - how do I fix this time?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:47:11 GMT 2024