Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » CompatibilityEditor usage(unable to use EditorPart using CompatibilityEditor)
CompatibilityEditor usage [message #1220467] Thu, 12 December 2013 00:01 Go to next message
Martin Bayer is currently offline Martin BayerFriend
Hi all,
I'm just trying to learn to use Compatibility layer. I already successfully integrated ViewPart to my RCP application but EditorPart initialization is still failing.
- I added my editor part to the extensions in plugin.xml[plugin.xml.png]
- I created new Shared element in application model using CompatibilityEditor. It points to the editor specified in plugin.xml[application model.png]
- then I added the place holder for the created shared element [application model 2.png]
- when I start the application, every view seems to be correct but the editor's part only show the part of the error "No editor descriptor for id org.eclipse.ui.internal.emptyEditorTab" [running app.png]

I would really appreciate any advices or tips.
Thank you very much,

Martin
Re: CompatibilityEditor usage [message #1221036 is a reply to message #1220467] Mon, 16 December 2013 18:49 Go to previous message
Eric Moffatt is currently offline Eric MoffattFriend
Note that 'CompatibilityEditor' is an internal class we use to support 3.x editors within Eclipse 4. It's *not* supported in direct e4 RCP apps. The most likely issue you're having is that there is a particular dance that the IDE does when opening an editor using the API, specifically that the API requires an IEditorInput which is determined by the implementor of the file open logic (i.e. the JDT has its own 'OpenEditor' logic that knows how to turn entries in its Package Explorer into IEditorInputs...). The input is a logical reference to the actual resource (i.e. file...) with enough info to be able to locate the resource again on a restart (so *we* can restore the editor).

What's currently lacking in e4 a way to define editors (akin to the org.eclipse.ui.editors EP) and a mechanism to 'open' an editor by finding the correct 'type' of editor...
Previous Topic:Webstart , equinox launcher which parameters in JNLP file
Next Topic:Eclipse 4 application model strategies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:34:27 GMT 2024