Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Excel as a data source(Creating a database connection with excel)
Excel as a data source [message #1159718] Mon, 28 October 2013 18:47 Go to next message
Ben Burkett is currently offline Ben BurkettFriend
I am wondering if it is possible to create a database connection to an excel spreadsheet via something like a Generic JDBC connection. The reasoning behind this is to be able to right click on it and "preview" the data in the sheet. From what I have read I do not think it is possible and I just want to clarify this before I tell my boss?(I am interning) that he can not have it that way.

Would it be beneficial to make a plug-in that could do this? Like for instance when you right click on the excel data source using BIRT that maybe could click "preview" and it would pull in the first 50 rows.

Any help would be appreciated, I have been racking my brain on this for the past couple of days.
Re: Excel as a data source [message #1171442 is a reply to message #1159718] Tue, 05 November 2013 08:29 Go to previous message
Arnav Kumar is currently offline Arnav KumarFriend
Re: Excel as a data source
Apache POI - the Java API for Microsoft Documents, is an open source for java that can read excel sheet and then you can work on that data as you wish i.e. fill that information in the database.
Hope this reply is helpful for you
TechknowHeights

[Updated on: Tue, 05 November 2013 08:30]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Eclipse RCP
Next Topic:Changing the workspace of eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:03:08 GMT 2024