Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Deploying single sourced RAP/SWT application(Need guidance on deploying strategy )
Deploying single sourced RAP/SWT application [message #1138481] Tue, 15 October 2013 05:43 Go to next message
Barys Dubauski is currently offline Barys DubauskiFriend
We are single sourcing our application for both RAP and SWT versions of GUI. For instance, in our UI bundles we have optional dependencies on org.eclipse.ui and org.eclipse.rap.ui so that depending on runtime target used the application would make use of either RAP or SWT implementation of GUI widgets.

Now, the RAP and SWT bundles can't co-exist in the same runtime target (it would lead to clashes of package and class names and other inconsistencies). Therefore in my development environment I am using OSGI framework launcher where I hand picked RAP set of bundles or SWT set of target bundles.

However, for efficient deployment of our application I'm looking for guidance here. What is the recommendation for deploying single sourced applications that are expected to function as either SWT or RAP applications and given that RAP and SWT targets cannot coexist in the same runtime space.

Is there a way to make this work at deployment time with all target bundles in the same folder but only their subset would get loaded at runtime depending on UI version picked?

Should we handcraft Eclipse configuration in advance and have SWT version of our application use one configuration and RAP version would use another? This seems like a manual and fragile approach.

Thank you in advance

[Updated on: Tue, 15 October 2013 05:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Deploying single sourced RAP/SWT application [message #1143675 is a reply to message #1138481] Fri, 18 October 2013 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Furnadjiev is currently offline Ivan FurnadjievFriend
Hi Barys,
some tutorials/recommendations for RAP/RCP single-sourcing are available
here [1].

[1] http://developer.eclipsesource.com/tutorials/#rap
HTH,
Ivan

On 10/15/2013 8:44 AM, Barys Dubauski wrote:
> We are single sourcing our application for both RAP and SWT versions
> of GUI. In our UI bundles we have optional dependencies on
> org.eclipse.ui and org.eclipse.rap.ui so that depending on runtime
> target used the application would make use of either RAP or SWT
> implementation of GUI widgets.
> Now, the RAP and SWT bundles can't co-exist in the same runtime target
> (it would lead to clashes of package and class names and other
> inconsistencies). Therefore in my development environment I am using
> OSGI framework launcher where I hand picked RAP set of bundles or SWT
> set of target bundles.
>
> However, for efficient deployment of our application I'm looking for
> guidance here. What is the recommendation for deploying single sourced
> applications that are expected to function as either SWT or RAP
> applications and given that RAP and SWT targets cannot coexist in the
> same runtime space.
>
> Thank you in advance

--
Ivan Furnadjiev

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: Deploying single sourced RAP/SWT application [message #1149557 is a reply to message #1143675] Tue, 22 October 2013 06:44 Go to previous message
Barys Dubauski is currently offline Barys DubauskiFriend
Thank you Ivan for the link. It provides some very valuable tips and hints.

I'm still looking for a clear picture of how the dual application (RAP + SWT) should be deployed to customer's machine. Is it possible to keep both SWT and RAP bundles in the same folder 'eclipse/plugins'? Should we create two separate launch configurations with their own 'configuration' folders that would define which subset of Eclipse bundles should be loaded for each eclipse application? If this is the answer, how should these 'configuration' folders be maintained (e.g. should we maintain contents inside platforms.xml file manually or there is a more reliable way to do it)?

Thank you
Previous Topic:Get styles from current theme CSS
Next Topic:Strange behavior of computeSize() methods
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:14:31 GMT 2024