Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Enabling contribution items to a view toolbar by selection in this view(With the command/handler/menuContribution pattern it is possible to enable/disable a toolbar item depending on the selection in the active part of the active window. However, with multiple views this )
Enabling contribution items to a view toolbar by selection in this view [message #1131076] Thu, 10 October 2013 06:57
Michael Gruebsch is currently offline Michael GruebschFriend
I have two (or more) Eclipse views defined. Each of these views has its own selection provider, e.g. a JFace table viewer:

getSite().setSelectionProvider(tableViewer);

In plugin.xml contribution items are placed at the toolbar of each view, e.g.:

<menuContribution
        allPopups="false"
        locationURI="toolbar:my.package.views.ViewA">
     <command
           commandId="my.package.views.commandA"
           label="Finish"
           style="push">
     </command>
  </menuContribution>

The handler of the contribution items are enabled with respect to the current selection, e.g.:

<handler
        class="my.package.views.HandlerCommandA"
        commandId="my.package.views.commandA">
     <enabledWhen>
        <and>
            <with
                  variable="selection">
               <iterate
                     ifEmpty="false"
                     operator="and">
                  <and>
                    <instanceof
                          value="my.package.SomeType">
                    </instanceof>
                  </and>
               </iterate>
            </with>
        </and>
     </enabledWhen>
  </handler>

Because the variable "selection" is a global workspace variable I have the following situation at the moment: If view A has a selected entry but is not active and if view B is active but has no selected entry both contribution items (in A as well as in B) are disabled. To enable the contribution item in A the user has to activate the view A (setting the workspace variable "selection" to the actual selection of A). This is confusing for inexperienced users.

How is it possible to control enabling of a contribution item which belongs to a certain view only by the selection in this view?

I would like to use declarative contribution items and not actions defined programmatically in the view itself.

Moreover, I want to avoid the extra burden of defining special workspace variables for each view (org.eclipse.ui.ISourceProvider). These workspace variables would be a solution if for the view class there were only one instance. If multiple instances of a view class are allowed we have the same problem.

I know that the required behaviour is possible with the extension point org.eclipse.ui.viewActions. However this extension point is deprecated as of Kepler.

Is there a solution using declarative contribution items?

Thank you - Michael

PS: I have posted a similar question on SO but have received no answer until now.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 October 2013 07:02]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Plugins from "dropins" not installed
Next Topic:editing labels in Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:23:09 GMT 2024