Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Javadoc server port number
icon9.gif  Javadoc server port number [message #1095920] Tue, 27 August 2013 18:16 Go to next message
J. Zufallig is currently offline J. ZufalligFriend
Using bog-standard Juno/4.2 to do some Java development. Because the Interwebs connectivity from this local network is slow and expensive, I've downloaded the JDK's zip file for their API's javadoc, and configured Eclipse to look in that local zip file for javadoc source instead of pulling it from Oracle. Works great.

Just one hitch. If we get a little javadoc popup and want to read it in something wider than three inches, ew click the little "open attached javadoc in a browser". An external Firefox opens a new tab with a URL like

aitch tee tee pee localhost because the forum hates me:49440/help/nftopic/jar:file:/C:/the/path/to/the/JDK/apidocs.zip!/docs/api/java/whatever/Example.html

which is very convenient for looking through cross-references within the browser environment, and exactly the behavior that I want... until I close Eclipse. And then start it back up. And then try to use any of the links between those javadoc pages.

It looks like the listening port (49440 in this example) changes each time. And I totally understand why that's the default. My question: can we override this behavior, and where/how? I'd really like to be able to always listen on the same port every time. (No, it's not going to be a reserved port number. No, it's not going to already be in use, not on this computer.) Some of our API reference tabs stay open across multiple Eclipse sessions, and it'd make our lives easier if they continued to Just Work as long as Eclipse was running.

Re: Javadoc server port number [message #1095947 is a reply to message #1095920] Tue, 27 August 2013 19:08 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
I don't know if it is possible to manage the port number. If you want to be able to browse the java doc outside of Eclipse, you could extract the zip file onto your file system. You could then browse the doc using just file:: urls. It would require extra space since it would be expanded, but would remove the Eclipse dependency.
Previous Topic:Are "Referenced Libraries" shared amongst projects in workspace?
Next Topic:how to extract scope information from Eclipse JDT core batch compiler?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:22:59 GMT 2024