Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can't even get the pre-made HelloWorld to work
Can't even get the pre-made HelloWorld to work [message #1095418] Tue, 27 August 2013 03:11 Go to next message
Johnson Joe is currently offline Johnson Joe
So, first let me just say I've used Eclipse for Java for several years, but now that I'm trying to get to learn C++, it's all confusion.

I went ahead and installed all the packages I need from MinGW, and went through the Eclipse help topic about setting up, building, and running the example HelloWorld program.

There aren't any errors or anything, but when I run it, the Console goes straight to terminated, I don't see anything print.

I'm just so confused. There's a lot more stuff to do to get a simple program running than I'm used to from Java.
Re: Can't even get the pre-made HelloWorld to work [message #1097304 is a reply to message #1095418] Thu, 29 August 2013 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale Fernandes is currently offline Dale Fernandes
Dear Johnson Joe

One should normally provide the code for problems as it is now impossible to see where you could've gone wrong, lucky it is a simple task and can be accomplished like so:

//A header that includes I don't know what but it does seem to be required as it is in every newly created document Smile
#include "stdafx.h"

//Provides standard input output methods
#include <iostream>

//Allows the calling of functions within the iostream (As far as I know this is how it works)
using namespace std;

int main()
{
//Outputs Hello world! to the console. the "endl" function moves the cursor to the next line.
cout << "Hello world!" << endl;

//Prevents the console from self-terminating and presents the user with the "Press any key to continue..." scenario.
system("PAUSE");

//Returns a value of 0 which normally means the program executed successfully.
return 0;
}
Re: Can't even get the pre-made HelloWorld to work [message #1098079 is a reply to message #1095418] Fri, 30 August 2013 15:30 Go to previous message
Marc-Andre Laperle is currently offline Marc-Andre Laperle
Try adding the MinGW bin path to the PATH env variable, typically C:\MinGW\bin. See
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/197552/
Previous Topic:Eclipse RDT server crashes with read timed out
Next Topic:Ant in Eclipse C++ Bundle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 16 04:59:17 GMT 2014