Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » out of heap while building large workspace - fixed with increased heap(out of heap while building the workspace for most akka projects - fixed with increased heap)
out of heap while building large workspace - fixed with increased heap [message #1079089] Sun, 04 August 2013 02:32 Go to next message
Rob Withers is currently offline Rob WithersFriend
I found a possible bug, or a test for optimization, at least, and I looked for a prior report and did not find one, on eclipse, scala and akka lists/forums/bugzillas. It is perhaps related to Eclipse bug: 376891? https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=376891

1) I am using Eclipse Juno 4.2.2, with some variations, perhaps:
• Eclipse Java Development Tools Version: 3.8.2.v20130116-090414-8-8nFu3FNOfwKLRuqgXKIy9z0I83 Build id: M20130204-1200
• Eclipse Platform Version: 4.2.1.v20130118-173121-9MF7GHYdG0B5kx4E_SkfZV-1mNjVATf67ZAb7 Build id: M20130204-1200
• Eclipse RCP Version: 4.2.2.v20130129-152330-7IARAABrMQkGSvMgQnUlz-DQz00h Build id: M20130204-1200
• Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment Version: 3.8.2.v20130116-091538-7c7wFj0FFt6Zr9bd4AM1JEQMS Build id: M20130204-1200

2) I have scala 2.10.2 loaded:
• Play 2 Support for Scala IDE Version: 0.3.0.v-2_10-201307101649-e442f75
• Scala Editor Version: 0.3.0.v-2_10-201307101649-e442f75

3) Using eclipse's git repository explorer, I load akka's repo and pull release-2.2.
4) I fix up sbt properly (sbteclipse, php, versions, ...) and run in akka> sbt "++2.10.2 update"
5) I run akka> sbt "++2.10.2 eclipse"
6) I open eclipse and add kafka and some other projects, some a little sizable
7) I add most akka projects, as eclipse projects, minus the osgi stuff and contrib
• project list
◦ /akka-actor
◦ /akka-actor-tests
◦ /akka-agent
◦ /akka-channels-experimental
◦ /akka-channels-tests
◦ /akka-cluster
◦ /akka-file-mailbox
◦ /akka-kernel
◦ /akka-mailboxes-common
◦ /akka-multi-node-testkit
◦ /akka-remote
◦ /akka-remote-tests
◦ /akka-sample-cluster
◦ /akka-sample-fsm
◦ /akka-sample-hello
◦ /akka-sample-hello-kernel
◦ /akka-sample-multi-node
◦ /akka-sample-remote
◦ /akka-sbt-plugin
◦ /akka-slf4j
◦ /akka-testkit
◦ /akka-transactor
◦ /akka-zeromq
◦ /atmos
◦ /groovy
◦ /GroovyMetaprogramming
◦ /kafka
◦ /kafka-java-examples
◦ /kafka-perf
◦ /murmur
◦ /reefedjib-drawl
◦ /scalakoansexercises
◦ /sentinals

Cool eclipse hangs and I kill it, several times
9) I start eclipse again, get the Progress view rocking',
10) I cancel the building workspace task of akka-actor, the first task, at 8%, with several DSG or some such blocking on it, which I cancel as well
11) it is totally jammed, at this point
12) eventually, an error box pops, Unhandled event loop execution: GC overhead limit exceeded. The blocking continues
13) a few more jammed errors, eventually going live, with 6 errors, listed here, bottom to top:
i. Unhandled event loop execution: GC overhead limit exceeded
ii. Unhandled event loop execution: GC overhead limit exceeded
iii. An internal error occurred during: "Searching for markers". GC overhead limit exceeded
iv. An internal error occurred during: "Project Indexing Job: akka-actor". Java heap space
v. An internal error occurred during: "Java indexing... 3334 files to index (/akka-testkit)". Java heap space
vi. Error in Scala compiler: GC overhead limit exceeded

14) after clicking OK on the error box, I get another popup:
Internal Error
An out of memory error has occurred. Consult the "Running Eclipse" section of the read me file for information on preventing this ind of error in the future.
You are recommended to exit the workbench.
Subsequent errors may happen and may terminate the workbench without warning.
See the .log for more details

15) I dumped the log and am attaching it
16) followed the suggestions in "Running Eclipse" pertaining to Mac OSX, with these changes to the eclipse.ini file:
• -XX:MaxPermSize=4295m
• -Xmx8590g

17) reran eclipse and let it run. projects are built successfully, resulting in sleeping index tasks. I kill all these and eclipse goes quiescent. I Quit eclipse and restart her. Again goes to quiescent, after a bit.
18) I guess a giga is too small, these days. remember the C-64 with the cassette drive? Smile
19) does this point to a bug?  perhaps this report will help in optimization.  maybe eclipse could throttle task parallelization in interesting ways.
20) it would be awfully nice if eclipse came default with much higher values for these parameters, like 4 gigs to start or something?

thanks,
rob
Re: out of heap while building large workspace - fixed with increased heap [message #1079571 is a reply to message #1079089] Sun, 04 August 2013 20:23 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I don't see a lot of Java programming in what you describe, so probably the JDT forum isn't the best place to ask for help.

One guess is that the Scala IDE folks should be closer to your problem.

The only thing that I could suggest is fixing the units in your settings, if you already assign 4GB to *perm gen space*, I don't know big is your machine but maybe this way you just reduced your *heap* size to s.t. ridiculously small. I believe both settings add up, so more perm gen probably means less heap. Certainly you don't have 8590 GB ram, do you??

One more technical hint: if you installed Groovy Eclipse, you have a forked version of JDT. Additionally, Scala IDE weaves into the same classes at load time. This could potentially create all kinds of "interesting" effects. I'm not sure how closely both developer teams cooperate to avoid unintended interactions.
Previous Topic:How to build a Template like javadoc in jdt and cdt
Next Topic:Name of java perspective?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:19:49 GMT 2024