Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Project help(I have a college project I need advice on)
icon7.gif  Project help [message #1075475] Mon, 29 July 2013 13:41 Go to next message
James P is currently offline James PFriend
Hey everyone.

I've been given an assignment by my college tutor, If I fail the work I'm off my course, I have to get it done ASAP but I've never had experience using Java Eclipse before (Only a bit of Visual basic)

My course isn't one that should really include programming and I'm not very confident of my chances to complete the project without any help or advice.

I'll paste the basic idea and spec for the work, I don't like asking but if anyone could help me start or give me general advice of how to go about completing this I'd be extremely grateful.

>>>>>>

'For this assignment you are asked to implement a model of the operation of a petrol service station, based on the description that follows:

The petrol service station has four petrol pumps for customers to use to refuel their vehicles. To use a pump the customer lifts the nozzle at the pump and the pump provides and indicator that displays 'ready' or 'wait'. A pump is in 'wait' mode until the kiosk attendant switches a pump to 'ready'. Once the pump is 'ready' the customer can refuel their tank. During the refueling the pump displays the amount of petrol delivered and the rolling total price. This information is also viewable centrally at the control desk by the kiosk attendant. When finished the customer places the nozzle back on the pump, at which point the pump mode changes back to 'wait' automatically. Finally, the customer goes to the kiosk to pay for the petrol and when s/he has done so, the pump will be made 'ready' again by the kiosk attendant. After paying for the petrol the customer receives a receipt with the date and time of the purchase, the amount of petrol and the total cost. A petrol station manager can view summary reports showing a list of transactions and the total amount of petrol dispensed and money taken on that day.'

Implement the petrol service station model as a program, including appropriate comments explaining the functionality. The implementation should provide a simple text-based command-line user interface that allows the user to play the role of the customer, kiosk attendant or Petrol Service Station manager. As a minimum the following options should be provided.

 Allow a customer to refuel their vehicle with a specific amount of petrol.
 Allow the customer to make a payment for the amount of petrol and receive a receipt.
 Allow the kiosk attendant to reset pumps to ready.
 Allow the kiosk attendant to view the state of each pump (ready/inactive).
 Allow the Petrol Service Station manager to view printed reports for:
- A list of the daily transactions associated with each pump (where each transaction is in the form date, time, quantity of petrol, cost).
- The daily total of petrol delivered from the station as a whole and the daily takings from the station.
The simulation should produce textual output to show the results after the selection of any of the previous options.
Re: Project help [message #1075534 is a reply to message #1075475] Mon, 29 July 2013 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
This forum is not to help students complete home work. You should ask your tutor for help.
Re: Project help [message #1075708 is a reply to message #1075534] Mon, 29 July 2013 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A forum is for discussion on whatever users choose to discuss.

It has many purposes, but that's your opinion. I thought it may have been useful to ask.
Re: Project help [message #1075893 is a reply to message #1075708] Tue, 30 July 2013 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
James,

The problem is it feels as if you're hoping for someone to do at least
part of your assignment for you. I know you only asked for advice, but
in the end, part of learning is being self sufficient. Googling for
"eclipse java tutorial" turns up useful information you can use to get
started and then if you have more specific questions you could ask those.

On 30/07/2013 1:15 AM, James P wrote:
> A forum is for discussion on whatever users choose to discuss.
> It has many purposes, but that's your opinion. I thought it may have
> been useful to ask.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Project help [message #1076173 is a reply to message #1075893] Tue, 30 July 2013 21:42 Go to previous message
I didn't intend to give that impression, I have more sense than to do that.

I see what you mean though.
Previous Topic:Debugger shows incorrect variable values
Next Topic:Setting the cursor position
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 01:38:41 GMT 2024