Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » The Eclipse Scout Book is out
The Eclipse Scout Book is out [message #1067027] Fri, 05 July 2013 13:30 Go to next message
Matthias Zimmermann is currently offline Matthias ZimmermannFriend
The first version of the Eclipse Scout Book is available!

Check it out and let us know what you think. Or, even better: clone the book and start contributing. Your qestions and comments are highly welcome.
Re: The Eclipse Scout Book is out [message #1067387 is a reply to message #1067027] Mon, 08 July 2013 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
Is this the right place for feedback on the book? Or is there a better place?

Just a few things I've so far noticed:

• on page 99 i interpreted the reference to listing 5.16 as an invitation to just copy paste that code into the source file instead of adding the URLBox and URLField manually using the SDK. This leads to an error in listing 5.17 because the getURLField() method is missing. This was not a grave problem for me, but I can imagine that this might be a stumbling block for a scout beginner.
  • I added the MapForm to show the google map for the location. However, being behind an authenticating company firewall the call to IOUtility.getContent() fails and sets a "Bad link" error status. This makes it impossible to close the MapForm (because - as per the instructions on page 105 - I did not add a cancel button). Wouldn't it make more sense to only add the cancel button instead of only the ok button for such cases?

I'll add more feedback as I work my way through the book.
Re: The Eclipse Scout Book is out [message #1067415 is a reply to message #1067387] Mon, 08 July 2013 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your input Urs, it made me add the Issues functionality to the Books Github account.
To test the setup, I already have added your first observation.

To report problems with the Eclipse Scout book use the
Github issue tracker.

To help imporove the book you may also fork the book and work with Github pull-requests as described in the Books wiki pages.
Re: The Eclipse Scout Book is out [message #1067501 is a reply to message #1067415] Tue, 09 July 2013 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
Thanks for the links to GitHub, I created an account and verified the two changes you made.

I was aware of the option of forking the book itself but I think currently that would exceed the amount of time I can invest. So if you're happy just taking feedback through Github, I'll post any other things I find there.
Re: The Eclipse Scout Book is out [message #1067507 is a reply to message #1067501] Tue, 09 July 2013 07:27 Go to previous message
Thanks Urs. Any feedback (such as reporting issues) is welcome.
Previous Topic:Scout Book: Trouble with helloworld_server.war on Glassfish
Next Topic:Scout Book: Can't access the org.scribe plugin in the server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:55:43 GMT 2024