Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse locks up when trying to launch web browser
icon9.gif  Eclipse locks up when trying to launch web browser [message #1061071] Wed, 29 May 2013 19:05
J. Zufallig is currently offline J. ZufalligFriend
Running Windows 7, with a freshly installed Juno. The exact command line I'm using is

C:\Eclipse\juno_4.2SR2_x32\eclipse.exe -vm C:\Java\x32\jdk1.7.0_21\bin\javaw

The OS is 64-bit, but everything else (the JDK, JRE, Eclipse, etc) are all very carefully 32-bit.

Poking through some Java code, I wanted to read the associated documentation, so I hovered over the class, waited for the usual javadoc popup, then clicked the "open javadoc in browser" button at the bottom of the popup. It was a Sun/Oracle class, so (a) the documentation definitely exists, and (b) it's at an external location.

Of course, it pops up an internal browser tab and loads the URL. I'd rather it just use Firefox. So I change the appropriate preferences setting (it already found Firefox and had it on the menu, it's the only other web browser installed), and try again.

As soon as I click the "open in browser" button, the little javadoc window goes away. Some kind of error dialog pops up (I can see the red "X" icon), but it instantly closes itself or otherwise vanishes, so I have no idea what it says. Nothing happens in the running Firefox. And the entire Eclipse application becomes completely locked up and unresponsive.

Can't even close the window; have to go though the Task Manager and do the "End Task" thing. At which point Windows complains that the application has stopped responding. Forcing Eclipse to close then pops up a tall white window titled "Eclipse" telling me "Java was started by returned exit code= <blah>", where <blah> is some arbitrarily large negative number, different each time I try this. The rest of the window is full of the Eclipse command line, apparently, none of which looks suspicious, but the text can't be selected to copy out to the clipboard.

The workspace .metadata doesn't contain a .log file or I'd post the contents.
Previous Topic:Have *.txt file types associated with HTML
Next Topic:Runtime Issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:50:24 GMT 2024