Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Problem with encoding(I found encoding wrong values and error generated by utf8 checks)
Problem with encoding [message #1038197] Wed, 10 April 2013 14:32
Bernard TREMBLAY is currently offline Bernard TREMBLAYFriend
Messages: 18
Registered: January 2012
Location: Paris, FRANCE
Junior Member

Hi,

I post this on the newbie forum.

I use Eclipse since one year now. But it is just a facet in the tools that I use.

My main two questions here are :

  1. What are the rules to set the encoding of a file when linking a file into a project.

  2. What are the known tools to check why a file known to be utf8 is not recognize and to check the strict utf8 encoding (too perform corrections)

It seems that, even the project is defined as utf8 encoding, if a linked file is not recognized as utf8 (detailed rules ?) the file is set to cp1252 without message. This leads to crashes, particularly with js and css.

Details of problems found, events

I got yesterday two following problems :

  1. a css file floating between utf8 and cp1252
    - A css file which was utf8 encoded have been recognized as cp1252.
    - I force to utf8 but css editor even display normally the content seems unable to analyze the syntax (quite all items with errors)

  2. a js file after adding comments with no error unable to be loaded (Firefox) -> crash


I know about the problem of identification of encoding, but what happens is that I create a link with a full utf8 project. For an unknown reason till now :

Note hypothesis : may be be the css file which was containing only Ascii chars - (identical between utf8 and cp1252 and ascii) have been edited by error in latin1 somehow with the addition of French text with accents coded latin1. This historically quite impossible to verify.

So the file was probably no more a full valid utf8 chain.

While most (all tested) of not Eclipse editors see an utf8 file, Eclipse loads it as cp1252 (when in properties I changed - necessarily - to the encoding to utf8 I had to confirm).

But when I have created the link to file (in an SVN working copy) it have been loaded as cp1252 and I have not be able to notice this alteration of the rule of the project. I should make checks but they are not easy to perform without a good tool to make the full checks of the files.

For the moment I am unable to edit any more this file in css editor. All the lines are noted with error that are not in syntax at all.

I hope that I have been clear.
To the moderator : May be this message can find a place elsewhere than in newbies messages, but I don't know where

Best regards

Trebly


Trebly

[Updated on: Wed, 10 April 2013 14:36]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:"Listen failed" error on eclipse
Next Topic:Fetching children of Juno fails
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Nov 27 07:18:41 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01811 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software