Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Drag and Drop UI application using e4
Drag and Drop UI application using e4 [message #1022025] Thu, 21 March 2013 06:30 Go to next message
Peeyush Deshpande is currently offline Peeyush DeshpandeFriend
Hi,

Thanks for all the help I am getting from this forum.

I know some basics of core Java and not anything beyond that. One of my friends suggested me to go through Eclipse 4 tutorial once as I wanted to develop an app as explained below.

I want to build an application in which I want to define some UI components (Say a component looking as a geometric figures "circle" and "triangles") which I should be able to see in say Left Pane. And I want to drag them to the Right Pane.
I should also be able to right click on these components and add options to it. Say an option to change color to RED.

I want to develop a graph with these UI components as nodes and want to connect them with simple lines. I have started with the tutorials on Eclipse 4 and thinking that I should be able to develop a simple app with this. But I am not sure what all things I can use and how to develop it.

Can anybody help here and tell me how should I proceed and what all tutorials I can go through.

If anybody have already worked on similar thing please share your thoughts on it.

Thanks,
Peeyush
Re: Drag and Drop UI application using e4 [message #1022253 is a reply to message #1022025] Thu, 21 March 2013 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joseph Carroll is currently offline Joseph CarrollFriend

First, learn more than the core basics of Java. This forum is intended for specific questions regarding Eclipse4.

Once you know more than the basics, look at GEF or Graphiti.
Re: Drag and Drop UI application using e4 [message #1022542 is a reply to message #1022253] Fri, 22 March 2013 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peeyush Deshpande is currently offline Peeyush DeshpandeFriend
For sure I am doing that. And as I mentioned I have started with the tutorials on Eclipse4 and thinking that I should be able to develop the app with this.

So wanted to know, what all help is available with Eclipse 4, so that it will be little easier to develop such app and will look more professional in structure.

As I saw, creating Menus and writing Handlers are much easier here. What all such help can be taken from it for the intended app ?

So I feel it is related to Eclipse4 and expecting some help on it.

Re: Drag and Drop UI application using e4 [message #1022700 is a reply to message #1022542] Fri, 22 March 2013 11:32 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Eclipse 4 is now widget-toolkit neutral: you first need to decide which toolkit to use, whether that be SWT, JavaFX, or even Vaadin. If you choose SWT, take a look at Veronika Irvine's article:

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-SWT-DND/DND-in-SWT.html

Brian.
Previous Topic:Inject JPA EntityManager
Next Topic:Eclipse 4 with both views (3.x and e4)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:31:14 GMT 2024