Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Ignoring source columns 1-12 when comparing files?(trying to customize for use in IBM i environment)
icon5.gif  Ignoring source columns 1-12 when comparing files? [message #1019055] Fri, 15 March 2013 00:30 Go to next message
Warren Thompson is currently offline Warren ThompsonFriend
I am an IBM i developer, using Rational Developer for Power [RDP] with EGit.

Traditional source files on our platform include a built-in line sequence number in columns 1-6, and a line change date in columns 7-12. This causes headaches when doing file comparisons, because the sequence or date may have changed, while everything else on the line may be the same.

Is there any way to customize the comparison to avoid this problem?

The latest RDP version 8.5 is based on Eclipse 3.6.3, so I have loaded EGit 2.1, and the merge tool is configured with KDiff3.
Re: Ignoring source columns 1-12 when comparing files? [message #1019744 is a reply to message #1019055] Sat, 16 March 2013 14:37 Go to previous message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Warren Thompson skrev 2013-03-15 04.02:
> I am an IBM i developer, using Rational Developer for Power [RDP] with EGit.
>
> Traditional source files on our platform include a built-in line sequence number in columns 1-6, and a line change date in columns 7-12. This causes headaches when doing
> file comparisons, because the sequence or date may have changed, while everything else on the line may be the same.
>
> Is there any way to customize the comparison to avoid this problem?
>
Not that I know of.
> The latest RDP version 8.5 is based on Eclipse 3.6.3, so I have loaded EGit 2.1, and the merge tool is configured with KDiff3.

For C Git: BeycondCompare can do this easily, but it's only available for Windows and Linux on intel/amd (might be possible to use with wine) and carries a small fee, but
it's worth every cent.

It is also possible to define a textconv filter that massages the data before presenting it to the diff tool. See gitattributes(5). EGit does not yet support gitattributes,
but there is some work going into that direction. https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/1614 if you want to help.

-- robin
Previous Topic:EGit Staging and Staging View
Next Topic:Updating to EGit 2.3.1 from 2.2.0 breaks CDT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:45:43 GMT 2024