Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » utter newbie user cannot login(utter newbie user cannot login)
utter newbie user cannot login [message #1015169] Wed, 27 February 2013 16:09 Go to next message
David Malka is currently offline David MalkaFriend
Hi,
I'm in a somewhat unfair situation right now, in that I'm being demanded to administer and troubleshoot a Hudson install, when strictly speaking, I'd never even heard of it 48 hours ago.

Basically, there's a CentOS 4.7 box on which Hudson is running. I'm the admin of the Linux box, but I have no idea of when Hudson was installed, who installed it - nothing.

And now there's a user who 'can no longer access the box'. By which he means that he *could* access it before. So someone's changed something. No idea who, but I have to come in and clean up the garbage.

By poking around, I was able to get to /var/lib/hudson/users and in there, there are three directories named after the users, and in each directory, there is a config.xml file.

If I edit the config.xml file, there's <passwordHash></passwordHash> with a hash between them. I delete the password, and then comes the question of how to restart Hudson. Again, no idea of how to do so, as I only have shell access to that box. So I ask the user to get one of his colleagues to go to http : / / h u d s o n s e r v e r / r e s t a r t (sorry - had to insert spaces there) which he does, and he still can't get access.

When he tries, he has a pop-up appearing, with 'a user name and password are being requested ..'

In the window behind is Status Code: 401 Exception Bad credentials.

Really not happy that I've been asked to fix this mess. No, make that: told to fix this mess. Can someone help?
Re: utter newbie user cannot login [message #1015218 is a reply to message #1015169] Wed, 27 February 2013 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duncan Mills is currently offline Duncan MillsFriend

Depending on your version of Hudson it should be a matter of setting <useSecurity>false</useSecurity>
in either the config.xml or the security.xml

There is also the possibility that whatever server the hudson WAR has been installed into has also protected the URL - can you tell what the container is?

Duncan Mills
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: utter newbie user cannot login [message #1015220 is a reply to message #1015169] Wed, 27 February 2013 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sidharth lala is currently offline sidharth lalaFriend
i belive you are running hudson on tomcat which is on your Cent os.

Look up tomcat folder.
go to bin folder : for e.g XXX/Tomcat 6.0/bin (apache-tomcat-6.0.18/bin)

probably your directory structure may be different. but use the console to perform below step.

START_TOMCAT=/usr/share/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/bin/startup.sh
STOP_TOMCAT=/usr/share/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/bin/shutdown.sh
Re: utter newbie user cannot login [message #1015672 is a reply to message #1015220] Fri, 01 March 2013 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sidharth lala wrote on Wed, 27 February 2013 14:42
i belive you are running hudson on tomcat which is on your Cent os.

Look up tomcat folder.
go to bin folder : for e.g XXX/Tomcat 6.0/bin (apache-tomcat-6.0.18/bin)

probably your directory structure may be different. but use the console to perform below step.

Thank you to both of you. I have effected the modifications you suggest, and the user still cannot connect. I don't know what 'container' means.
Re: utter newbie user cannot login [message #1015751 is a reply to message #1015169] Sat, 02 March 2013 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

By container I meant server - Jetty / Tomcat / WebLogic etc.
Each of these will have slightly different ways of managing their own security.

Hudson itself should have a HUDSON_HOME. If not specified on the environment at startup this will be in the .hudson directory of the user that is running the server.
In there, you'll find a config.xml and assuming you are using Hudson 2.n the security setting is in there.
e.g.

<hudson>
<version>2.2.1</version>
<numExecutors>2</numExecutors>
<mode>NORMAL</mode>
<useSecurity>true</useSecurity>
If Hudson is in charge of security then just switch this to false. It's just a matter of finding the correct .hudson directory based on the process that is running or started the server.

However that being said, if your sever (e.g. Tomcat has secured the Hudson URL (usually just the root or /hudson) then you are going to have to sort that part out in the config for that server. That's nothing to do with Hudson per-say

Duncan Mills
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: utter newbie user cannot login [message #1015787 is a reply to message #1015751] Sat, 02 March 2013 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the additional information. I'm starting to think that there's some Tomcat stuff going on there, because even though I disabled security by doing what you suggested, the user is still being asked for a login and password. I'm guessing that there's no need to 'restart' hudson, as it's sitting atop (as it were) apache and Tomcat? I'll investigate further on Monday morning. Is there a site where beginners can learn a bit about Hudson, and learn how to administer it? Thanks again.
Re: utter newbie user cannot login [message #1015826 is a reply to message #1015787] Sun, 03 March 2013 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The good news it that Hudson itself is really easy to get going with. Start here:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Hudson-ci/Meet_Hudson

The you can read the Hudson Book:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/The_Hudson_Book

Duncan Mills
Eclipse Hudson team

[Updated on: Sun, 03 March 2013 10:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: utter newbie user cannot login [message #1015883 is a reply to message #1015826] Mon, 04 March 2013 07:26 Go to previous message
sidharth lala is currently offline sidharth lalaFriend

Re-staring Tomcat should resolve your problem.
Previous Topic:Hudson 3.0 and Copy artifacts plugin issue
Next Topic:Python API URL is responding with 404 Not Found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:16:57 GMT 2024