Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Installing and configuring Eclipse 3.8.1 with plugins+features on a separate directory
Installing and configuring Eclipse 3.8.1 with plugins+features on a separate directory [message #1008656] Wed, 13 February 2013 13:09
Neil F is currently offline Neil FFriend
I work on desktop support and am working on a project in which we are packaging applications for a developer workstation deployment, on both Windows XP and 7 (64bit). One of these application is Eclipse 3.8.1.

We were able to build an MSI package for us to deploy and lock down the Eclipse application (i.e. set "C:\Program Files" install directory to read only both via config.ini and by Windows NTFS) for it was a security audit requirement. That would mean that the plugin, features, and configuration files will be on a separate folder. By design due to other requirements, we are putting it on specific directory, instead of the Windows user profile folders. The external directory is on c:\DEVFOLD and, in it are the directories of individual developers of the workstation.

We were able to set up Eclipse in this fashion but noticed a few issues.

1. When we try to install a plugin via the GUI interface, the plugin files are deep inside the in C:\DEVFOLD\<userid> directory. But when we checked the Installation Details in Eclipse, it registers on Installed Software, but NOT listed on Features, Plugins, and Configuration tab

2. We also need the flexibility to install the plugins outside Eclipse. Thus, we used Equinox P2 to the job. But Eclipse does not recognize the plugin's installed by the P2 installer - does not register within the Installation Details.

3. Is there a way in which we can configure Eclipse to put the plugins and features folder on the root level of the external directory (i.e. C:\DEVFOLD\<userid>\features and C:\DEVFOLD\<userid>\plugins) instead to spending time looking 10 levels down from the root level of the external directory?

Would appreciate any advice, suggetions, or point me to a documentation in order to make this workable. Apologies for I am not that familiar on how Eclipse work.

Appreciate it
Previous Topic:Marketplace MD5 error
Next Topic:Error after installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Nov 27 06:54:35 GMT 2014