Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] CDO+db4o run from RCP application(How to run cdo server on db4o storage from rcp application?)
[CDO] CDO+db4o run from RCP application [message #997718] Tue, 08 January 2013 15:43 Go to next message
Alexander Solodukhin is currently offline Alexander SolodukhinFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: January 2013
Junior Member
Hi guys.

I'm new to EMF and CDO but have some experience developing RCP applications. So I want to practice my skills and decided to develop money/expenses accounting app using eclipse technologies. The killer feature of the app I see concurrent model editing over the network. So that is why I want persist EMF using CDO.

The idea is to start cdo server inside one copy of rcp application and have opportunity to connect from another copy through the network. I think that storage for my cdo server must be some kind of embedded system, my choice is db4o. So I've followed tutorials found on the Internet and successfully ran cdo service with db4o storage using feature project approach. But the problem is that in production I want to run my cdo server from the RCP app.

I red http://wiki.eclipse.org/Run_a_CDO_container_inside_eclipse_runtime this approach and realized that I need way to create db4o aware IStore instance. I saw that stores could be created using factory methods like this:

StoreUtil.createMEMStore() or IDBStore store = CDODBUtil.createStore(...)

So I need such method to create db4o store. I searched the Internet but didn't find any useful information. So could you kindly point me to some source of that magic knowledge I need Smile.

Thank you!

Re: [CDO] CDO+db4o run from RCP application [message #997965 is a reply to message #997718] Wed, 09 January 2013 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 5590
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Am 08.01.2013 17:36, schrieb Alexander Solodukhin:
> Hi guys.
>
> I'm new to EMF and CDO but have some experience developing RCP applications. So I want to practice my skills and
> decided to develop money/expenses accounting app using eclipse technologies. The killer feature of the app I see
> concurrent model editing over the network. So that is why I want persist EMF using CDO.
>
> The idea is to start cdo server inside one copy of rcp application and have opportunity to connect from another copy
> through the network.
A dedicated server node is certainly more common, but it's of course up to you.

> I think that storage for my cdo server must be some kind of embedded system, my choice is db4o.
I'm afraid the original developer of the DB4OStore does no longer maintain it. Not a good choice for production unless
you want to take over its maintenance.

> So I've followed tutorials found on the Internet and successfully ran cdo service with db4o storage using feature
> project approach. But the problem is that in production I want to run my cdo server from the RCP app.
>
> I red http://wiki.eclipse.org/Run_a_CDO_container_inside_eclipse_runtime this approach and realized that I need way to
> create db4o aware IStore instance. I saw that stores could be created using factory methods like this:
> StoreUtil.createMEMStore() or IDBStore store = CDODBUtil.createStore(...)
>
> So I need such method to create db4o store. I searched the Internet but didn't find any useful information. So could
> you kindly point me to some source of that magic knowledge I need :).
To me it seems that factory method is missing for DB4O support. You may propose one in a bugzilla patch. As a workaround
you can call the constructor on the internal store class directly.

I suspect that the DB4OStore has only been used with the cdo-server.xml file because there is factory support for it.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper
Re: [CDO] CDO+db4o run from RCP application [message #998260 is a reply to message #997965] Wed, 09 January 2013 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Solodukhin is currently offline Alexander SolodukhinFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: January 2013
Junior Member
Thank you for quick response!

Quote:
I'm afraid the original developer of the DB4OStore does no longer maintain it. Not a good choice for production unless
you want to take over its maintenance.


Quote:
I suspect that the DB4OStore has only been used with the cdo-server.xml file because there is factory support for it.


So, it sounds like it's better to change store. What embedded solution can you suggest? I prefer db/derby or db/h2 solutions because db is the most popular storage driver for cdo and derby/h2 are both can act as embedded approaches. It's new project and I'm free to choose.
Re: [CDO] CDO+db4o run from RCP application [message #998269 is a reply to message #998260] Wed, 09 January 2013 17:33 Go to previous message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 5590
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Am 09.01.2013 18:17, schrieb Alexander Solodukhin:
> So, it sounds like it's better to change store. What embedded solution can you suggest? I prefer db/derby or db/h2
> solutions because db is the most popular storage driver for cdo and derby/h2 are both can act as embedded approaches.
> It's new project and I'm free to choose.
Personally I like H2 because it's quick (at least for not too big data volumes) and simple to use.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper
Previous Topic:How to extend a model and create the editor
Next Topic:Code Generator broken in EMF 2.8.x and Eclipse 3.8 / 4.2?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Dec 21 19:36:27 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01605 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software