Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Simplify PDE Builds for similar projects
Simplify PDE Builds for similar projects [message #982857] Tue, 13 November 2012 13:27 Go to next message
Danny Schimke is currently offline Danny SchimkeFriend
Hi,

we have to optimize an existing PDE build. First I have to say that we're new to PDE builds. Currently we have a generic build (precompile) that gather features and plugins for the subsequent PDE brand builds.

There are running several PDE build for e.g. 5 Brands. These brands differ only in a minimum content. But the brands are build completely with all PDE sequences. Especially assemble is taking a long time.

Our goal is to call the PDE build preferably once and only exchange these handful files (e.g. ini, exe) in the PDE result. Does the PDE allow to exchange files during the build process?
The next Problem is how to generate the executable launcher exe detached from the PDE build process?

Thanks a lot in advance!
-Danny Schimke
Re: Simplify PDE Builds for similar projects [message #983235 is a reply to message #982857] Tue, 13 November 2012 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom H is currently offline Tom HFriend
I have a notion to put something similar up on github, it is imaginatively called "template plugin project" and consists of several plugins containing the sample commands from the wizard.

However it is all wrapped in a tycho maven pom.xml which produces various platform builds, and with the additional step of using https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm to produce deb and rpm packages, along with configurations for p2 that is boot strapped to your own github repo.

I've not identified a tool that can produce useful exe or msi installers, but I am aware that there are some projects that can do this.

Re: Simplify PDE Builds for similar projects [message #983867 is a reply to message #983235] Wed, 14 November 2012 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Tom,

thank you for the answer.
I forgot to say, that we call PDE build from ANT using the Java task. We build it under Windows.

The PDE build assembles only a *.zip file. In this *.zip file I have to exchange files (have a look at my first post, please).

It seems, under these aspects, the "fpm" is not usable for my issue, right?

Thank you very much!
-Danny Schimke
Re: Simplify PDE Builds for similar projects [message #985854 is a reply to message #983867] Fri, 16 November 2012 12:15 Go to previous message
Hey,

we found a solution. We used the same .product file of the PDE project without features.

1. we do a complete PDE build of the first product
2. we build only the launcher files using the same .product files of the brand projects without features
3. we replace these launcher files in the complete build result for each brand.

That way the launcher files are the same like before but no complete build is necessary for each brand. We save a lot of time with that.

It's done!
Thanks a lot!
-Danny Schimke

Previous Topic:Error Exporting Plugin : Home/Classes does not exist
Next Topic:Prevent archiving rcp application in headless build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:34:38 GMT 2024